Need help with a compression question!

jagged

Seaman Apprentice
Okay today i put new fuel filters in the main fuel line and on the gas tank. The carb i noticed is definalty drippin from the bottom of the carb out of a gasket. We put fresh gas and BOOM!! started perfect as a 85 35 hp merc can! We haven't taken it out though thats usually when it stalls out when i rev it up. So my dad took 1 spark plug out and the motor started, he took the other one out and put that one it and it started but conked out. Is that good? I've heard yall say pour a little oil in there and it will make it even run better! what do ya think jag

G DANE

Commander
Re: Need help with a compression question!

Running poor on one cylinder does not necceserely involve bad compression. If you have a compression tester, do a test and let us know numbers, should bo above 100 and within 10 PSI on both. If no tester, try to rotate flywheel by hand with plugs in, plugwires OFF, sloowlyy one or two turns. Do you feel any difference in resistance from one cylinder ?? Not as good as testing, but tells some. Can you rig up some kind of spark gap ?? Both sparks should jump a 7/16 or 1/2" gap with strong blue flame. If one doesnt, your error is more likely there. If there are two carbs on it, i would disassemble, soak and clean them first.

G DANE

Commander

Hi again<br /><br />I just read a couple of your earlier posts, why dont you stay in one thread, when it about same problem. It seems like you have one needle valve in carb clousing incomplete or stuck, which is causing the cylinder to flood. Fix that first, clean carbs, then look at ignition - and see if it runs then.

jagged

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah it actually runs and the one that was weak didn't fully idle when i gave it gas it ran on that 1 plug so both seem to be fine. It must be the carb and could have been sucking air who know's i'll find out and get the compression kit and fire it up. I would have stayed on one thread but sometimes the post go so quick i just type it up again. Thanks man