Engine Losing Power? (Please Help)

jmvaughn

Cadet
I have a 1998 Mercury 225 EFI. Just recently this outboard began to "lose power". Motor will start fine and seems to idle correctly. But, when trying to accelerate out of the hole, the motor will not climb above 2000-2100 RPMs. I have checked the compression on each cylinder and get readings of approx. 100 pounds per cylinder. When motor is idling, I have fire on every cylinder. I have tried checking the bulb when motor refuses to gain RPMs and bulb is tight. I have also tried to choke the motor to see if this will "help" with the problem, it does not. I am lost. Has anyone out there ever experienced this problem before. I would be very grateful for any help that you could provide.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Engine Losing Power? (Please Help)

I'm going to throw out a few thoughts only because no one else has responded. I say this as I do not know your motor.<br /><br />What you describe can happen if your motor has some self checking features that, when something is not right, will not allow the motor to exceed a set rpm in order to protect the motor from damage. Quite often this is caused by either the motor getting hot or the VRO is not functioning properly. Sorry but this is all I can offer.

jmvaughn

Cadet
Re: Engine Losing Power? (Please Help)

I have checked to see if VRO is functioning correctly. It is (at least this is what a local mechanic told me after keeping the boat several days). I have also checked the motor to see if it might be overheating. It is not. The motor has new plugs and this problem is present as soon as the motor is started or after it warms up.