Where is the thermostat on my Mercury 75HP?

Claude75

Cadet
Hello Everyone: <br /><br />I bought a Seloc book to try and change the thermostat, but I am having a very difficult time locating it(the pictures are not clear at all). Can someone tell me where to find it? It is a 1985 75HP Mercury Outboard. <br /><br />Thanks, <br /><br />Claude

rjmotor

Cadet
Re: Where is the thermostat on my Mercury 75HP?

Its underneath the the exhaust manifold cover,(port side of the powerhead) towards the bottom.

Claude75

Cadet

I am very new to this. Let me see if I got it right. At the back I have the spark plugs. Is this thermostat on the left side of the engine or back where the spark plugs are. On the left side there seems to be a cover with quite a few bolts in it. I took out the lower unit with the manual, but cannot find the thermostat I must be an id1ot. Also I am not sure where the exhaust manifold cover is and the book does not show it. <br /><br />Claude

rjmotor

Cadet

Its the cover to the left with all the bolts,Underneath that cover is another cover plate, the therm is at the bottom left under the second cover, youll see a circular area its under that. A word of advice, soak all the bolts you are removing with an industrial penitrating solvent. Exhaust manfold bolts are filled with deposits and have a tendency to snap.