Mercury Tach

Ed.Ski

Cadet
I have a 72 17' Slickcraft w/Merc 1150. I see a lot of posts about RPM's at WOT. The tach has been remove from the boat. Should I replace it? If so it looks like the Mercontrol has a tach socket in it. Can I get the plug to fit? Will any tach work?

daveanna

Cadet
Re: Mercury Tach

The old mercontrols did have a tach terminal on the front of the control. Your control must be wired to your rectifier in your motor. If the rectifier is open you have no tach signal along with no alternator output. As far as I know only factory tachs will work. Also make sure your tach is set for 6 cylinder. There is usually a setting on the back of the gage. Safe boating, dgs.

daveanna

Cadet

It's dgs again. The inline 6 cylinder mercs rpm range was 5000 - 5500. Try to run in the upper end of the range. Fyi if you didn't already know the spec. Good luck, dgs.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Teleflex not only makes a tach that'll work for ya, they also make the wiring harness to plug into the receptacle in your control.<br /><br /> Teleflex Accessories <br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

Ed.Ski

Cadet

Thanks for the info. Here is some more questions. The socket is 3 wire, 1 from the rectifier and a black & white from the key switch. I check a couple gauges and most have settings such as 2P, 3P, 4P, 5P, 6P, AND 4C, 6C, 8C. Do I need to know how many poles are in the stator? Is the tach picking up pulses from the rectifier?

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Yep.<br />Here's the other Teleflex site. It'll tell ya all about it. Teleflex <br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty