no reverse after impeller change

geore

Cadet
i hae a 1977 150 merc. i wasnt getting much water from the tell tail hole so i dropped my lu and replaced my mpellor and assembly. i had a terrible time getting the lu back on . when i did get it on the prop has no reverse. imoved the shifter, moved the little nob on the lu anthing i could think of. to no use got no where i tried to start the outboard and still no water help me pleasse :D

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: no reverse after impeller change

Hey geore.....Ya probably didn't have the lower unit in forward gear and the control in forward when ya' put her back together.<br /><br />Merc lower units, because of the shift cam in the lower unit, want to naturally go into forward. So.....<br /><br />Drop the lower unit back off. Shift the control box into forward.<br /><br />With the lower unit off, turn the shift shaft or rod counterclock wise untill you find forward gear. The shift cam has three lobes on it. They point to the starboard side or right side if yer looking from the rear. The lowest lobe is forward gear. When you find forward, reassemble the lower unit to midsection. Do be careful to get the water tube in the impeller housing discharge hole. Should work after that. Least.....that's wut the book sez. Just remember, the "throw" from gear to neutral to gear is, if memory is still working, less than 30 degrees....not much. Keep us posted. Thanks.