Looking for opinion on value, not buyers

Weasel6

Cadet
I posted earlier and didn't know about the no selling rule for the BBS. My intentions were for an opinion on approx. value of my old motor and what someone thought it would be worth if I sold it for parts, whole or in pieces. I am not looking for a buyer on this board, absolutley not. I am not gonna go through the trouble of crating up a motor to ship or in pieces for that fact. I'm gonna deal and sell my stuff to my local people and salvage dealers.<br /> With that said, I have a 71' 80Hp Merc. that is not getting any fire. I'm going to try a coil but if that doesn't fix it and it ends up being the power pack I'm gonna dump it. Question is, and here is where I need opinons because I've never sold a boat or motor before, how? Do I take it to the dump? Take the whole motor to a salvage man and what kind of offer would he make me? If I sold it in pieces through my local paper, what should I make off it in the end? It ran good last year and the foot is good, carbs. might need cleaning and the stator replaced (broke wire) but other than that it is good.<br /> Let me repeat, I am not looking to sell it here nor do I want offers, none will be accepted. I'm looking for opinions on what I should do with this old motor and what could I expect to make if I sold it in the 2 ways mentioned above. A mech. told me once that the motor wasn't worth $200. Is he right? Should I take it to a salvage man and ask for that? Would I make more than that in parts?<br /><br /> ( I hope this is better JB, I didn't knnow about the no selling rule nor was that my intention.Sorry. I know now)

mercury1

Cadet
Re: Looking for opinion on value, not buyers

My expiriences with the older Mercs, check for a broken wire before jumping to conclusions. The wires coming out of the trigger in particular had a bad habit of breaking up with age and heat and shorting out. I have seen dozens with this problem.<br />If they are OK then go to the switch box.<br />I dont like to tell anyone what their motor is worth, but I would bet you could get $400 out of the gearcase alone.

buttonhook

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Looking for opinion on value, not buyers

before you throw it away I'll come and get it.<br />I'm not trying to get anyone in trouble or take buisness away from Iboats. but I will take it off you hands if you are going to throw it away and the salvage man will not give you much. I give you what he will for it and come and get it. <br />I need something to tinker with. My wife has taken a job out of town MON-FRI and I get bored<br />so if you are going to get rid of it email me at buttonhook_2001@yahoo.com