Merc 9.8 charging system

Digger

Cadet
I have an older Merc 9.8 (late 70's early 80's)<br />and am wondering if it is possible to install an alternator or other charging system to maintain a 12 volt battery to power lights and sonar etc.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Merc 9.8 charging system

There was a stator made that had a charging coil built in. If you find one, you'll be very lucky and you should immediately go buy one lottery ticket. You'll only need one ticket because you'd have to be extremely lucky to find one of those stators. But I'm sure they were pretty wimpy. Probably hold-up to a locator or two, but not much beyond that. A solar charger would probably do just as well and you can find those for not much over $20. Tack on at least another zero for a stator. You could buy a pair of excellent batteries for that plus a charger and just rotate the batteries.

ZmOz

Captain

A solar charger is only meant to counter act the self drain of a battery...it won't actually "charge" a battery, unless you get a HUGE $500 panel. Your best bet would be to buy a deep cycle battery and a good charger, just as if you were using a trolling motor.

Digger

Cadet

Originally posted by Digger:<br /> I have an older Merc 9.8 (late 70's early 80's)<br />and am wondering if it is possible to install an alternator or other charging system to maintain a 12 volt battery to power lights and sonar etc.