Crank protector, Flywheel Puller, and lifting eye. 85hp merc

MercMark

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm about to tear into my powerhead. The manual calls for a crankshaft protector, flywheel puller and lifting eye. It lists mercury part numbers. Are there real world alternatives to these parts/tools.<br /><br />I'm about to try and separate the powerhead/lower unit in my garage. I don't have a cherry picker or overhead hoist. I could use some tips on doing this. How many guys will it take to lift the powerhead. or will I be able to separate them without having a some sort of hoist pulling up on the powerhead while I loosen the bolts.

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: Crank protector, Flywheel Puller, and lifting eye. 85hp merc

I use a harmonic balance puller and 1/2" drive air impact wrench to pull the flywheel.I made a lifting eye out of a bolt the same size and threads as the puller bolt in the center of the harmonic balance puller and welded a couple of flat washers to it. If ya need, I can post a foto of it. I use to rent an engine hoist (at $25/day) but then I found a brand new one at Northern Tool for less then $200 so I bought it. A couple of guys could probably life the p/h off if it wasn't stuck but if it hasn't been off in several years, it's gonna be stuck.<br />Hope this helps.<br /><br />g'luck & c/6<br /><br />Hooty

MercMark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, so I talked to the local marinas and mercury no longer has record of the part numbers for the flywheel puller and crankshaft protector cap. So two questions.<br /><br />Does anyone know how to find out the thread and size of the hole in the flywheel so that I can make a lifting eye and get the right puller.<br /><br />And<br /><br />What does a crankshaft protector cap look like? I need to know so I can fabricate something to do the job.<br /><br />My engine serial number is 7033755<br />Flywheel puller part No c-91-48501a1<br />Crank protector cap part no. c-91-24161

Hooty

Rear Admiral

The flywheel should have three equally spaced drilled and tapped holes around the center of the f/w. Those holes are probably 1/4"-20 or 1/4"-28. Loosen the f/w nut 7-8 turns but don't remove it. This will protect the threads. Bolt the three fingers on the puller to the three 1/4" holes in the f/w. Snug the bolts down good but don't bottom 'um out. Screw the pulling bolt down until it's tight against the center of the crankshaft. Put the 1/2" drive air impact wrench on ther puller bolt and hammer away. When ya get the f/w loose, replace the puller bolt with the lifting bolt and remove the powerhead.<br /><br />g'luck & c/6<br /><br />Hooty

MercMark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

air impact tools huh?....<br /><br />me cave man. no impact tools.<br /><br />Uhh.. serioulsy though. Impact tools are just not in my budget. I don't do enough automotive work to justify it. If it's absolutely required I'll borrow my dad's.<br /><br />Are they requried? I think I could throw myself against a big ugly johnson bar pretty hard.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

If you don't have an impact wrench you can use a breaker bar to remove the flywheel nut, and tighten the center bolt on the flywheel puller. When the puller bolt is good and tight whack the bolt with a hammer.<br /><br />I pulled the powerhead on a DT85 Suzuki with a small comealong. After I got it off, I was able to pick it up by myself and lay it on the bench. I'm 50 and no football player, so 2 guys can do it piece o' cake. You can also try chaining the powerhead to a rafter, and then cranking up the jack on the front of the boat (which will lower the rear) to separate the powerhead from the middle unit.

farginicehole

Chief Petty Officer

I bought a cheap harmonic balancer puller and actually twisted/bent the puller bolt by torquing it with a big ratchet. Flywheel was really stuck on there. Ended up having to pay a marine mechanic $50 to remove the flywheel for me! That sucks. What a waste of beer money.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Yep, that sucks, especially when you can buy a 1/2" drive air impact wrench for $24.95.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

MercMark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok point taken.<br /><br />But when I add up the cost of tools and parts that I absolutely need to do this job (which I don't have because I used to use my dads when I was in school) It all adds up. Not to mention that an impact wench requires more that the impact wrench itself to use it. Now I start looking at a tank for my compressor, quality regulator, lines, quick change fittings.....<br /><br />it adds up. If I can minimzie the capital here it will help.<br /><br />Thanks for your helpful posts hooty. Sorry if my inexperience is trying your patience.

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

You can get an electric impact wrench.