Does anyone Know a good Online Parts Store

mIKEmAN

Cadet
I think I may have to replace my dist. cap and rotar, prt number Cap-393-4841 and rotar is 393-4312. Does this have to be replaced with a marine type or if I find a cap that fits will it work? I also found what looks like little silver stones in the cap...what the heck is that? By the way I have a 1976 150 HP Merc, The reason I think I have a spark problem is that what I turn the key the starter starts the fly wheel but it doesnt try to fire until after I have released the key. Its very weird. Ive gotten it started twice now and it appears that once it has started and ran for a while it starts again without problem, though if I let it sit for awhile its back to square one...Not Starting! What do you guys think? Thanks in advance. By the way Im looking for a good online parts store for Merc Parts, or does anyone have some parts they wanna sell?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Does anyone Know a good Online Parts Store

Hi, Mike.<br /><br />Don't replace anything until you know what needs replacing. The symptoms you describe don't sound to me like a bad distributor cap.<br /><br />Go to www.outboardrepairs.com and look up wont start. Lots of good troubleshooting advice there.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Sherman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When you release the key the starter is no longer pulling any amps but since the engine is still spinning it will still start because it now has enough power to fire. I would check the starter solenoid. On a car motor it could be the coil or starter.

mIKEmAN

Cadet

Thank you very much guys I will check all those advice points out! I couldnt believe a rotor was $300.00! WOW