What is the best service manual

Metalwkr

Recruit
I'm looking at rebuilding a 35hp mercury OB 2 cylinder 2 stroke and was wondering which service manual gave the best overall instructions. A wiring diagram would be a plus.<br /><br />Thanks..

dkondelik

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What is the best service manual

'mornin' Metalwkr<br /><br />what i have generally found is that the oem manuals are most detailed and specific to a given motor. HOWEVER, if you're not terribly experienced at o/b repair, it may be a bit difficult to follow.<br /><br />The aftermarket manuals (Seloc and/or Clymer are available at the lower left hand corner of this page) are a bit cluttered as they typically cover several models, AND they are not as detailed or specific but are quite usable. <br /><br />OPINION: i guess in the best case scenario, you'd have the Merc Manual AND a Seloc (i find them easier to follow then Clymer, but that's just me) so that you'd have plenty of detail and simple explainations of what to do.<br /><br />Good Luck

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Hi Metalwkr...<br /><br />No opinion here, just fact. Klondike is right on! Get the OEM first. Then if ya have trouble understanding it, get the generic for simpler explanation. Good Luck!

Metalwkr

Recruit

Thanks for the information, I've rebuilt other 2 stroke engines in the past but never a boat motor. I guess if'n it don't kill me, it'll only make me stronger.<br /><br />Thanks again.