85hp merc lower unit ran dry

Tony Harkins

Recruit
I recently purchased a 1975 trihull boat with a 1975 85hp mercury outboard.We took it out for a test run and it ran perfectly for a couple of hours and then the motor made a strange clunk sound and died,restarted motor but would only run a few seconds and die.Took it home and it ran fine<br />with muffs and water.Found that lower unit was dry<br />the previous owner must have drained it for the winter and dumb me didn't check it.Should I just fill it with the proper gear oil and try it or should I take the lower unit off and check for damage or take to dealer and have checked out.

papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 85hp merc lower unit ran dry

i dont think it will hurt anything to put oil in it and try it it may work fine . that old of a motor you need to look for a used foot or another motor if the gears are shot. i just went through a 74 foot .the gears wer shot all berings and seals . found a couple of bsted unites.salvaged the gears out of them . the bearings i got a friend that worked as matinance to order the bearings and seals. that saved a bundle . 27.50 verses a 7.00 for 1 berring.all you need is the # on the berring . how long did you run it . did ithave any oil at all in itat all.

MercMark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've got an 85hp merc with a bad powerhead that I'm thinking of rebuilding. Late 70's(not sure exact year) .I'm not sure that I want to rebuild it though.<br /><br />The lower unit was rebuilt for me two years ago and only has about one week running on the rebuild.<br /><br />I'm in Ontario Canada. I can check the year on my engine if you want to give me an excuse to sell the lower unit.

Tony Harkins

Recruit

MercMark I think this weekend will try my motor again to see how the lower unit works with gear oil in it but I could be intersted in your used lower unit.How about emailing me a price.