How do I get a nice finnish on my prop...

stant1man

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have recently purchased a used stainless quicksilver prop for my outboard but it is very dull and has scratch marks all over it that look like they were made by the manufacturer. The prop is in great condition with no dings what so ever and apart from the dull scratched appearance is in new condition.<br /><br />What can I do, is it safe to sand these marks out and finnish with metal polish?<br /><br />I got it on ebay, this is the link - <br /><br /> http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4566024954&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT <br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Stan

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How do I get a nice finnish on my prop...

Try Scotchbrite instead of sandpaper-it's gentler. <br /><br />I'd go for it-it'll be stronger than an aluminium prop pretty much whatever you do.

Stinger313

Cadet

I use a product called Never-Dull.You can get it at most auto stores.

stant1man

Petty Officer 1st Class

I spent 10 minutes on one section of the prop blade just to test it using 280 grade wet and dry.<br /><br />I tried to work out the scratches but my gosh it takes ages...<br /><br />In the 10 minutes I spent the scratches had still not worked away.. Dont get me wrong. It helped, but not dramatically.<br /><br />Stan

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

I thought you only had 7 days left to get on the water. Shouldn't you save prop polishing for the winter months? ..lol

TilliamWe

Banned

stant, it could be worse, my Bravo 3 props are rusting!

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Looks like it's maybe just hard water deposits and some rust to me. If so, you can shine that thing up real fast and easy. Go spend $2 at a local home improvement store and make yourself a 50/50 mix of muriatic acid & water in a bucket. Wear rubber gloves & eye protection in case you splash, and it'll just wipe off with a sponge while you get an occasional whiff of nasty stuff up your nose. Have a hose handy and rinse everything with plenty of clean water when you're done.<br /><br />It'll work beautifully, will get every bit of gack & rust outta every nook and cranny, and will take about 10 minutes to make it look like brand new without scratching a thing. I've done this on many props over the years.<br /><br />However, it will do nothing to remove cosmetic scratches, if that really is your biggest problem. Stainless is tough stuff to polish to a high shine and will take a LOT of elbow grease. Try a high speed rotary tool with some metal polish on a buffing wheel and see how that works. You can't hurt it. If it were me, I'd forget the scratches and just leave it as-is after a good cleaning.<br /><br />Important safety note, always dump the acid in the water, NEVER dump the water in the acid.

stant1man

Petty Officer 1st Class

AMD, I now only have 5 days to get on the water but I have helpers here... Was gonna get them to polish the prop he he!<br /><br />Thanks for the replys people!<br /><br />Stan

peterc38

Seaman

Originally posted by craze1cars:<br /> Looks like it's maybe just hard water deposits and some rust to me. If so, you can shine that thing up real fast and easy. Go spend $2 at a local home improvement store and make yourself a 50/50 mix of muriatic acid & water in a bucket. Wear rubber gloves & eye protection in case you splash, and it'll just wipe off with a sponge while you get an occasional whiff of nasty stuff up your nose. Have a hose handy and rinse everything with plenty of clean water when you're done.<br /><br />It'll work beautifully, will get every bit of gack & rust outta every nook and cranny, and will take about 10 minutes to make it look like brand new without scratching a thing. I've done this on many props over the years.<br /><br />However, it will do nothing to remove cosmetic scratches, if that really is your biggest problem. Stainless is tough stuff to polish to a high shine and will take a LOT of elbow grease. Try a high speed rotary tool with some metal polish on a buffing wheel and see how that works. You can't hurt it. If it were me, I'd forget the scratches and just leave it as-is after a good cleaning.<br /><br />Important safety note, always dump the acid in the water, NEVER dump the water in the acid.
craze1cars,<br /><br />Not trying to burst your bubble here, but you do not want to use muriatic acid on stainless steel. I have been involved in the metal finishing field for almost 27 years. Muriatic acid is hydrochloric acid. Stainless steel has chromium and nickel in it. Thats one of the things that gives it properties that make it "stainless". Chromium also adds hardness. Hydrochloric acid attacks chromium. In fact, it is sometimes used to strip chromium deposits on bearings, pistons, etc. in preparation for re-plating. Also depending on the rockwell hardness of the propellor, the use of hydrochloric acid can increase the likelihood of the stainless steel failing due to hydrogen embrittlement. This is why the use of hydrochloric acid for cleaning aircraft parts is not considered acceptable practice and requires special bake outs to relieve the hydrogen when it is allowed to be used. Your advice about polishing is the way to go because the best way to clean it is mechanically. It is hard to polish because it is hard compared to say aluminum. Look for metal polish with aluminum oxide in it. I have seen it at sears and home depot in bar or stick form. It is gray in color typically. Then finish it with the white, which is typically silica based and is a finer abrasive that really brings out the shine. Don't use the brown stuff, that is called tripoli and is for non-ferrous metals.<br /><br />just my .02