Spectrum boats?

05GlastronSX

Chief Petty Officer
my neighbor has a 1996 Spectrum boat with a 120 force on it and i was wondering if anybody knew any info about these boats. I see that they were discontinued as of 1996 and they seem to be similar to lund boats which are mainly used for fishing. Im asking because i have never heard of these boats before and was just curious about them. thanks

Booner

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Spectrum boats?

quot by 05GlastronSX<br />__________________________________________________<br />they seem to be similar to lund boats <br />__________________________________________________<br /><br />That’s like comparing Cummings tools to Craftsman tools. Lund is a quality top of the line aluminum boat, Spectrum was closer to an entry-level aluminum boat.

05GlastronSX

Chief Petty Officer

sorry, i should have clarifyed more. what i ment by that comparision is that it seems like they both are used for one main purpose; fishing. i did not mean that they are comparable in quality.

D

DJ

The Spectrum line was the aluminum product of Bayliner (Brunswick).<br /><br />Yes, they were mostly utilitarian with some "Fish and Ski's" thrown it.

Booner

Petty Officer 1st Class

I’m not shur of all the models that were made but the only ones that I have seen were aluminum deep V fishing boats. I almost got one a few years back but the seller and I did not come to terms over the price. Try the search button I remember reading a post a few months back about Spectrum

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I've got a Spectrum. A 1995 16'8" Avenger SC w/70hp Force<br /><br />If My info is correct (should be), Brunswick bought Blue Fin boats (of Minn) in the late 80's. These boats were very nice, with a steep bow entry similar to Alumacraft/Lund in design and quality of the mid 80's. Brunswick cheapened up the line a bit and started selling them with the Force motors on them about 1990. <br /><br />Shortly there after, they changed the design, similar to Fisher (also owned by Brunswick at the time) - all welded hull, but with a more gradual bow entry into the water. And the hull was thinner and not as nicely finished, cheap seats, etc. This is what I have. Its decent, but not of Lund quality, and the ride is crap when the waves hit 2'. The boat is also stern heavy/bow light.<br /><br />They were sold as lower priced/ or entry level boats, but I will never ever link them to Bayliner ! :) <br /><br />I actually saw a 1997 and maybe a 1998 Spectrum, but I think they were made under the Fisher brand then. Fisher was sold to Tracker Marine in ?? 2000 ??

05GlastronSX

Chief Petty Officer

thanks for the info guys...now hes claiming he can beat me and my glastron sx w/ a 150 on it in a flat out race...the funny thing is hes not even joking either...lol

KIGuy52

Petty Officer 1st Class

My '91 14' "Spectrum by Blue Fin" is actually a 14' Starcraft Seafarer, which is indicated by the serial number. My neighbor has a 14' "Sea King", which is also a Starcraft Seafarer. Both of our registration cards say Starcraft.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Several boat companies have bought hulls from other manufacturers, then finished them and sold them under different names. I believe Northwoods still does it.

PuddleJumper

Petty Officer 1st Class

Considering the weight differences between alum and fiberglass I wouldn't put more than a six pack on the outcome of the race

bluewater19

Chief Petty Officer

I would put my pinkslip on it. <br /><br />My 17' starcraft will maybe do 40mph with no load no gas and 130 pound driver.<br />My glastron 175sx cruises at 40 mph at 3300-3500rpm with out breaking a sweat. These hulls are fast!<br /><br />I say you can take him no problems.