To Caravelle or not to Caravelle

ss9940

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi all!<br /><br />I currently own a Caravelle 1994 1750BR. I am seriously considering to buy another Caravelle - an interceptor and was wondering if any of you can share some Caravelle experience with me... I really like the design of their boats, and the one i own now is perfect, but a little too small :) Is the interceptor a good boat? Which year should i go after? When did they start to make 100% wood-free boats?<br /><br />Alex

rockyrr

Cadet
Re: To Caravelle or not to Caravelle

We just bought a new 2005 Caravelle Sea Hawk 21' Walk Around. We have only had it about a month, and, overall, it seems like it might be a good boat. But, we have a few problems that need corrected, as follows: <br /><br />1. Speedometer light doesn't work <br />2. Can't close and latch either of the 2 portholes. <br />3. Remote wasn't properly secured and it started to come loose. <br />4. Several loose Phillips head screws in different locations. <br /><br />The biggest thing that is a problem right now is the location of the Perko battery switch. It is mounted in a terrible location....behind the 2 batteries. I have to lay on the deck and reach way back over the batteries to access the switch....really inconvienent, since the switch takes some effort to turn on. <br /><br />Also, the manual I received is so generic that it is of little value, and there is no wiring diagram provided.<br /><br />I'm hoping these items can all be corrected.....soon. <br /><br />I hope this helps.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

"Wood free" Interceptors were new for '04 (I think, don't take that to the bank). Very first wood free bowrider was the 207 BR. The 187 BR kept the same designation, but I think it made the wood-free transition the model year following the introduction of the 207 BR. Point is, you will have to buy a pretty new Caravelle to get this feature.<br /><br />Kelly

scubatrooper

Seaman

Alex:<br /><br />Last March I bought a 2004 Caravelle 187LS Bowrider. I love this boat! So far I've had no problems at all. I just got back from a week down in the Lake of the Ozarks spending every day on the water skiing and tubing. Our has the 190 HP 4.3 liter V-6 (not fuel injected) running a 14 x 23 Mercury aluminum prop. We had no proplems getting her out of the hole and pulling a skier or a big tube. She also cruises with the best of them. I like the technology Caravelle uses in their production and being all wood free is simply peace of mind. Bottom line, knowing what I now know about my Caravelle boat would I do it all over again? You bet! Let us know what you decide and good luck.<br /><br />Regards,<br /><br />Steve