Merc 135HP Trim & Tilt

KennyKenCan

Commander
How difficult is this unit to rebuild?<br /><br />The tilt ram is leaking oil and I figured if I had to remove the unit to fix it, then why not rebuild the whole thing.<br /><br />Any suggestions would be appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks

Gold Bear

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Merc 135HP Trim & Tilt

KennyKenCan<br /><br />I know that the tilt ram has a teflon ring that requires a special tool to install. You will never install it without the tool.<br /><br />I rebuilt my rams (on a 115) and ran across this problem. One was leaking - but the problem wasn't the teflon ring, so I didn't replace the ring. For me it hasn't been a problem...are you so lucky???<br /><br />Good Luck,<br /><br />Gold Bear ;)

KennyKenCan

Commander

Gold Bear <br /> <br />I have not yet disassebled the PTT yet.<br /><br />I figured I would get some feedback before I attempted it.<br /><br />Did you have to purchase the tool needed to get yours back together, and if so, how much did it cost?

Gold Bear

Petty Officer 1st Class

KennyKenCan <br /><br />I only replaced the rubber seals in the tilt rams. The teflon ring fits on the ram cylinder and seals the pressure difference between the upper and lower chamber as the ram moves up and down. I fixed my leak by replacing the rubber seals, so I did not buy the tool. If you tilt your engine all the way up and it slowly tilts down on its own, then you need the teflon seal changed out.<br /><br />I have never had any problems with the pump.<br /><br />Best Regards,<br /><br />Gold Bear ;)

clanton

Rear Admiral

Depends on the year, 92/99 the tilt ram can be removed without removing the t/t assy from engine.<br />Manual does not show special tool for reassembly of the tilt cylinder. Merc manual has plenty of diagrams.