Runs faster on empty

alexleesalinas

Recruit
Yesterday I notice that my Mercury 60 would not rev up on full throtlle and was going slow. Once the tank was going emtpy...it started to rev up and gaining speed untill it went empty and turned off. I added full with 50:1 and it was still doing the same thing. I kinked the fuel line and in about 10 seconds when it was running out of fuel it started to rev again and gain awsome speed.I would unkink it and in 5 seconds it would want to bog down so i would kink it again and start to rev and gain speed. Please help Thanks Alex :( <br /><br />It also eats up alot of gas...will cleaning and adjust the carb make alot of difference on gas.<br />Thanks<br />Alex

alcan

Commander
Re: Runs faster on empty

Hi Alex<br /> It sounds like the floats in the carb are stuck. Try tapping on the carb bowl a little. If no result, remove, disassemle and clean carbs.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

As a motor starts to run out of fuel it starts to run "lean" which is optimum for performance - but not good for long term use. Pretty much all carbureted 2-strokes will do this. Being that yours ONLY runs well when running out of fuel tells us that you've got carburetor problems. Clean them, synch them and try it again...<br />- Scott

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

and don't forget to make sure your fuel tank is venting properly...just a Thought