alarm horn wiring

captjoe

Cadet
I have a new Mercury Saltwater 225 EFI on a new boat that was missing the alarm horn. Being technical I asked the boat mfg to send me the alarm and instructions on where to wire it to to avoid and long run to the marina I purchased the boat from. <br /><br />The positive side of the alarm goes to the purple wire on any of the instruments and the other terminal goes to a tan/blue wire but I can't seem to find a tan/blue wire in the console wiring. I see a tan wire and I am wondering if that is the one.<br /><br />I asked the mfg and Mercury and they both said it should be tan/blue. Any help?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: alarm horn wiring

Could be the reason the builder omitted the buzzer...Nothing to hook it to. You may have to trace the wire at the sending unit all the way forward to the helm.<br />Don't take the chance on a new boat. This should be covered under warantee anyway, even tho it's a long-haul. I would try to arrange have thier rep meet you at the boat. All he needs is the book and his tools, and he can drive to you.Besides, you allready paid for the install, which is incomplete at this point.<br />That way, if he messes up, it's all covered.<br />but the fact that it was not installed in the first place is suspicious to me.

lakensea

Chief Petty Officer

I agree with 12footer - when you got the boat did the dealer explain how everything works? He should have turned the key on so you could see how the alarm self-tests. Did you sign the PDI (pre-delivery inspection) form? Any reputable dealer would have 2 chances to catch this major blunder. You should be able to bring it to any Merc dealer and he can bill your selling dealer for the work. It is not a Merc warranty issue - it's a dealer set-up issue.<br /><br />If you insist on doing it yourself, the tan/blue wire is not part of the boat's harness - it's comes from the engine harness. Find the large black cable with a bunch of wires coming out of it, most of them going to the ignition switch.

captjoe

Cadet

Thanks guys...I found the wire at the end of the engine harness. The mfg turned the tan/blue wire back into the harness and covered it with black tape. Hooked the horn up and works fine.<br /><br />Joe