1975 20HP Merc (Forward is Reverse)

kkern

Recruit
1975 20HP Mercury w/ Mercontrol control box (motor serial is 4290295). <br />Forward puts motor into reverse.<br /><br />Motor works correct when controls are not hooked up (moving shift towards boat puts into F, up/down in N, and moving shift towards back of motor into R). <br /><br />I have heard that I have the wrong box. 20 HP in this year needs "backward" box. Also, I heard the cams in the box I have can be changed but they both the box and the Cams are NLA.<br /><br />Can anyone confirm this? Anyone have these parts?<br /><br />I can post the part numbers of the existing control box and cams if that helps.

kkern

Recruit
Re: 1975 20HP Merc (Forward is Reverse)

Mercontrol Control box numbers as follows:<br /><br />warm up cam: 34669<br />shifter/throttle cam: 34681<br /><br />box housing<br />warm up cam: 34671<br />shifter/throttle: 34682

sean6634

Cadet

I had the same problem with my 115hr merc. there is a pin by your shift cam that that may be broken. I had to take mine to the wrench and after opening up the lower end we found that the gears were badly stripped. all the parts for the rebuild came to $937.00 I ended up buying a used lower end for $550.00 . I hope that's not the case with yours but I thought I would share my nightmare. by the way, now I have an electrical problem. It never ends.

kkern

Recruit

I noticed other people had problems with shift gears, however, a couple people on Johns old outboard bulletin board confirmed that my horsepower/year motor needs a "backward" box.<br /><br />This would make sense as the motor shifts and operates fine when controls are not hooked up.<br /><br />I am really hoping this is the case, but it appears these parts are non-existent anymore.<br />Mercury NLA - must mean Not Listed Anymore, and another person told me there is not a replacement newer control box for this.

papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer

a friend of mine had this probablem . he turned the shift box around used reverce for foward and foward for reverce . he knew there wasent anything rong in the foot. some 20s are like that . another friend ran a cable through the back . A COUNTRY BOY CAN SERVIVE.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

You might keep an eye on ebay for a control.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty