Lower Unit – Water coming from small hole

Jud Hamblett

Cadet
Lower Unit – Water coming from small hole

I just changed the impeller my 115 HP Mercury outboard. When I put the ear muffs on and run the engine, the telltale is strong and water comes out the prop exhaust area as normal.<br />However, I also notice water running steadily out a single small hole located on the front right of the lower unit above where the ear muffs go. The hole leads from the area where the water pump is located and appears to be a drain of some sort. The only thing I can think of is either the water pump tube is not seating -but that is hard plastic and would seem to either mate to the tube above it or not - OR the seal on the top of the water pump housing is leaking. <br />I just can't recall is water came out that hole before. Any advice?

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Lower Unit – Water coming from small hole

I think you will find thats pretty normal..<br /><br />without it, water would fill up the central part of the leg and stay there..<br /><br />its just a drain....<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Franki

Jud Hamblett

Cadet

Franki, Ok, Thanks. Last night I had the lower<br />unit off and applied medium hose pressure to the outflow side of the pump. Water leaked out between the seal on the upper pump housing and<br />the drive shaft. I pushed the seal down a bit toward the housing and the water slowed but as soon as I turned the shaft the water started leaking again. The seal appears to be fine - motor has only 100 hours on it.<br /><br />Does the L/U internal area around the outside of the pump fill with water anyway when the motor is in the water?