SMALL BOAT vs. BIG ENGINE question.

tiras_usa

Cadet
Hello Folks,<br /><br />I have 18’ Bayliner Trophy 1802 WA and I’m planning to get new motor.<br />Manual says that the biggest motor that I can put on it is 150HP.<br />What going to happened if I’ll put 200HP?<br /><br />New 200HP engine weight less then my old 90HP Force, so there will be no overweight issues, why the manufactures suggested not to use motors bigger then 150HP?<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Alex

Jilly - 5

Seaman
Re: SMALL BOAT vs. BIG ENGINE question.

It's not just the sheer weight of the engine on the transom. It's also the twisting moment of the engine where the prop has a lever arm equivalent to the shaft length. You will have a force at the prop developed by up to 200hp rotating the transom, which could cause transom failure. And of course, what top end are you looking for? 200 horse on 18' sounds a little dangerous to me, both in top sppeed and in handling craft at that top speed. Save the money and go 20hp under max rating, like 130 hp. That's still pretty quick.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Also, check with your insurance company. If someone gets hurt, they probably won't cover you because your boat is overpowered.

LubeDude

Admiral

I nearly always tell people to max out the hp on there boats, I have NEVER EVER had someone tell me they wished they had less HP. Its always the other way around. I think that at cruising speed you would get better economy with a 150 than a 135. <br /><br />I however NEVER tell people to over power, because if you were to ever get into an accident, God forbid, you would be automaticaly at fault because you were over powered. Its just not worth it.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Ditto Dude.<br /><br />And its not the length of the boat necessairly but how its made. I had a 19' boat with a 300 V8 that handled it perfectly. My last race boat was 18' and the ol V6 E-rude had well over 325 hp.<br /><br />I'd do like the guys suggested and run it past the insurance guy first. In writing.

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer

Torque is the biggest issue. Also the insurance issue is a good thing to check. I had a new 50hp put on a older boat that was rated for 55)over 25 years old) and they thought it was a good idea to reinforce the transfom because of the torgue of the newer engine's. Better safe than oop's.

ZmOz

Captain

Overpowering moderately is not an issue. The only reason you shouldn't do it is because as others have said, you can loose your *** if something happens. On many outboards, you can get something like a 200hp and put on the cowlings from a 150hp motor. Nobody will EVER know it's not a 150hp. As long as you know it's overpowered and are experienced enough to drive it safely, I see no problem. My boat has been overpowered for the last 30 years, and nothing bad has come of it. I wouldn't even consider a smaller engine if someone gave it to me...

bobbyk

Cadet

I also have an 18 footer although it's a Formula. I have a 150hp ERude on it and it gets up to 51mph gps. That's real fast on a small boat and unless the water is like glass, you'll rarely get to use all of those 200 horses. You will be happy with the 150.

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer

Increasing power 25% over the manufacturers' rating is not ever a good idea and definately not on a Bayliner hull!

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Can someone explain to me why if someone runs into me it's my fault just because I have more hp than the CG plate recommends? I keep hearing that on this board, but have never heard of any laws or rules regarding. When I ask the sheriff who patrols the local waterways he don't know. It's beginning to sound like someone started this rumor here and it's gotten popular...or maybe it's just Idaho and Oregon law enforcement that don' know what's going on? Not trying to be rude, just wants to know, because I've got 2 boats that could technically be considered overpowered, and the law enforcement and my insurance carrier just don't care...just a thought :)

KCLOST

Commander

I wonder about that also Chief,<br /><br />But I would assume, that if you were involved in an accident, and there was a descrepency on who was at fault, an overpowering condition can be something you don't want to contend with.<br /><br />However, If I got my hands on a 200hp Merc. real cheap, I'd wouldn't hesitate to put it on to replace my 175... Even though the boat is maxed out already.... I'd just use the old 175hp cowling, and nobody would ever know....

LubeDude

Admiral

Honestly Kclost, I would propably do the same thing, but they will look at the motors tag, not the cowling.<br /><br />The only way you may have a problem would be as you say, if there were a discrepency as to who was at fault.<br /><br />With this application, I might concider a 175, but I think the 200 HP May be too much for this particular boat.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

local laws vary greatly. check local laws and act<br />appropriately. much more of an issue for a newbie<br />than an old salt IMO. not a knock on bayliner, but<br />they do have a "minimum" tansom and it may need<br />extra bracing.<br />safe boating,<br />M.Y.<br /><br />ps, here in my area, the police (not coast guard)<br />would automatically cite me on the spot...

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by LubeDude:<br /> Honestly Kclost, I would propably do the same thing, but they will look at the motors tag, not the cowling.<br /><br />The only way you may have a problem would be as you say, if there were a discrepency as to who was at fault.<br /><br />With this application, I might concider a 175, but I think the 200 HP May be too much for this particular boat.
So, LD, "who" is gonna look at the motors tag, unless it is easily apparent that you are overpowered, and you would have to be waayy overpowered for anybody to even notice. I'm not saying it's ok to overpower, just that, if you don't act like an idiot and endanger yourself or others, who cares...neither my insurance carrier, nor the marine patrols around here seem to mind, but than I guess when and if something happens they may all go back to the books and find out what the rules really are... <br />On another note, Alex_A...I don't think I would put a 200hp motor on an 18' Bayliner, because if you are asking the question, you likely don't know enough about your boat to know if it will handle the extra power, which it may or may not handle well...too much power on a boat just beats the hell out of the hull, and if you don't use the extra power you are just using alot of extra fuel...IMHO...just some thoughts :)

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by Chief 101:<br />I'm not saying it's ok to overpower, just that, if you don't act like an idiot and endanger yourself or others, who cares...neither my insurance carrier, nor the marine patrols around here seem to mind
Exactly. As long as you use a little common sense, you'll be fine. It's not like you're going to put a 200hp on the back of a 12' jon boat. 200hp isn't too much for a good 18' boat and an experienced driver. Unfortuneately I would not do this on a Bayliner, I didn't see that part before. In the spring I plan on selling my boat and getting an 18' with a 454, wich will soon end up with around 700hp. :D

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Believe me, if an accident occurs, and (heaven forbid) a fatality is involved, the attorneys will be looking at absolutely everything, as well as law enforcement. That's why they close interstates whenever a fatality occurs. Evidence gathering, in anticipation of a felony charge, takes time and very little is overlooked.<br /><br />In this day and time, an over-powered boat could be construed by courts and attorneys as reckless endangerment. Might just result in prison time - worst case.

BillP

Captain

What BoatBouy said. Them legal beagles will be on that oversize motor like fish stink on old docks.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Around here when there is a boating accident, they check for alcohol...never seen any authorities look at a boating incident and say "aha, I knew it...200hp, it's gotta be his fault.". I just aint gonna happen unless there was some indication that the motor caused the wreck...but then that's here... :D

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by Chief 101:<br /> Around here when there is a boating accident, they check for alcohol...never seen any authorities look at a boating incident and say "aha, I knew it...200hp, it's gotta be his fault.". I just aint gonna happen unless there was some indication that the motor caused the wreck...but then that's here... :D
Same here. I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble for over powering. Has anyone here actually seen it happen? EVER?