substitute for marine grease ???

saumon

Lieutenant
Hi everyboby, <br /><br />first of all please excuse my english (i'm a french canadian)but i'll do my best to be understood.<br /><br />I was looking for some marine-grade grease but my marine dealer is a bit far from my home. I go to the nearby Wal-Mart and an "associate" told me that he never heard of that kind of grease (i'm not surprised, i think he's 16 years old...) but he said that i can't be wrong with synthetic grease (wich cost twice as much as the regular petroleum-based one).<br /><br />I'm always a bit suspicious when this kind of "expert" told me that "everything will be fine", so i need your advice on this.<br /><br />Many thanks in advance.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: substitute for marine grease ???

There is no substitute for marine grease and Walmart carries it in auto and in sporting goods.What are you using it for?.Some of the applications on a boat dont require marine grease.Charlie

saumon

Lieutenant

I'll plan to use it for:<br /> - zirks on the tilt hinges<br /> - steering rod<br /> - propeller shaft

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Re- check Walmart. Every one I've been into in the US (just a few, mind you), has had marine grease in the boating area. If you were looking in the oil/lube area (often near auto parts), I don't know if you'd find it there. Check boating, which is usually near sporting goods or camping. Also, check other hardware stores and general places like Canadian Tire. I don't know if there are stores like Target or Fred Meyer in Canada, but those are a couple of others I'd expect to see marine grease. I never buy my marine grease at the boat shop, but can find it many other places.

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Oh, PS: I also usually see marine grease in local autoparts stores such as NAPA, Carquest and Schucks.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

The only thing you can substitute on would be the steering rod. any grease will do there.If you were set on substituting,be careful because synthetic grease is not compatable with other greases.Charlie

NOSLEEP

Commander

Well colour me silly.<br />I've used synthetic grease for years, prefer it to<br />marine grease. Ya its a couple dollars more for a<br />tube. But it doesn't seem to wash out as quick as<br />marine grease or other bearing grease. Use a<br />synthetic grease no problems.

lokerd

Cadet

I'll plan to use it for:<br /> - zirks on the tilt hinges<br /> - steering rod<br /> - propeller shaft

I bought some Citgo Marine Grease for the trailer hitch connection. It states trailer bearings on the label...and it is very thick and blue.

Now I am trying to replace the prop on to it's shaft after replacing the drive pin. The manual (and many threads here) is calling for a type "a" lubricant on the shaft. Is this the same as what I have? Or do I need to find specific OMC Type A?

I read this link also: http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/archive/index.php/t-117554.html seems to imply what I have is the same.

Sorry to drag up an old post...can't remember if this site would prefer using an old thread...or create a new one.

Thanks!

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The only thing you can substitute .. any grease will do there .. be careful because synthetic grease is not compatable with other greases.

Oh, please! There is nothing magic about 'marine' when it comes to grease, you can substitute anything as long as the chemistry is compatable, and there's nothing 'not compatable' about a synthetic just because it's synthetic.

I've seen cheap plain 'grease' that resisted washout better than 'marine', and I've seen 'marine' grease that does better than some plain 'grease'. I've also used synthetic grease for years. I guess it's because it says 'marine' I've had no washout problems whatever, even on prop splines ... :rolleyes:

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I donno, that Johnson Evinrude Marine grease is some goooooood stuff

F_R

Supreme Mariner

OMC Type A is long ago obsolete. And good riddance. Their Anti Corrosion Lube is vastly superior. (Or whatever the heck they call it now). The others such as Mercury and Yamaha also market some fine greases.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

(Or whatever the heck they call it now).

Triple Guard is the Johnson-Evinrude waterproof grease. It is a dark blue color and sticks to moving parts. Great stuff for bolts to keep them from freezing up in salt water.

robert graham

Admiral

I use the Walmart Marine Grease($4/tube) for everything on the boat and trailer, works fine, no problems! Good Luck!

cedarjunki

Chief Petty Officer

anyone use lucas grease?? ive been using it a few years now and it seems to be really good stuff.

this is off their site............

Lucas X-tra Heavy Duty Grease
Virtually wash-out proof. Stands up to high temperatures and stays soft in very low temperatures. EP fortified and exceeds OEM specifications.

Lucas X-Tra Heavy Duty Grease was formulated for automotive, agricultural, heavy-duty and industrial applications. It is virtually waterproof and is more stable than all conventional lithium grease. It is fortified with an extreme pressure additive package and it exceeds OEM Lube for Life specifications.

Key Benefits
?Lasts four times longer than regular grease
?Virtually waterproof
?All temperature stable
?Exceeds Lube for Life specifications
?The ultimate grease for high speed bearings

its sold here at walmart and in auto part stores.........