Mercury Electrical harness and gear question

Hi guys, I am in need of some help finding some info for my mercury kiekhaefer-thunderbolt serial # 3058690. First question is I bought this motor with no controls and I am trying to find out how to get it out of gear so I can try to turn it over to see if it gets spark. (I think it has to be out of gear to fire, Correct?) Also I have taken a snap shot of the factory harness which comes out on the side of the motor, It is in need of some serious help with wires being brittle and such. Can anyone tell me if I can replace this guy and also where to get the cables to work with it, Or would I just be better off rewiring this thing hard with new cables. Thanks in advance!
harness.jpg

NathanY

Commander
Re: Mercury Electrical harness and gear question

Dont know what size motor you have, but pic your motor here and look at the wiring diagram. You can rewire your motor, just be sure that you have the correct wiring diagram.<br /><br /> http://www.maxrules.com/wireindex.html

The motor is a 80hp, I have a set of newer controls but I just didn't know if they would work they have a few more wires besides t&t which this motor doesn;t. thanks

ehenry

Commander

I've had to replace that same harness on a 50 hp Merc of the same vintage. Its not that expensive...if I remember correctly it was about 25 or 30 bucks from a dealer here in Jackson, MS.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

You can buy controls on eBay all the time. They can be pricey, but you can turn around and sell the set you have and get your money back...<br /><br />Just ask the seller for a shot of the plug end and keep in mind you're looking at a reverse image of what's on the motor...<br />- Scott