Is it just me? 900 horses...

jhreed

Seaman
Wow, just read the latest issue of Trailer Boats and saw an article on quad-225hp-Hondas. Does this make sense to anyone? (I just realized that this is the April issue..I think I've been hooked). $68K for the outboards? Wow! To think that I've been enjoying an 80 hp Mercury (1972) on a "glass" walk-thru at a cost of about 900 dollars makes me crazy at the thought of 311K for the boat/motors combined. If one wants to fly on water, why not just buy an old Beaver aircraft, remove the wings and I believe one might get about 120 mph at a much cheaper price.<br /><br />1.4 mpg @ optimum cruise? phooey!

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
Re: Is it just me? 900 horses...

I particularly enjoyed the $108 per hour in gas at wide open throttle quote. I guess if you have the cash, why not?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

We redid a 32' Excalibur a few years ago. Threw away the two 330 Mercruisers and put on 3 V8's. It burned less fuel per trip and gained almost 20 MPH.<br /><br />The first time I took it to the ramp a guy kept walking back and forth looking at the motors mumbling. Finally he walked up and asked "Why 3 V8's?". I thought it was quite obvious - there wasnt room for four.<br /><br />Quite a cool ride too!

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

I also liked the part about putting 6 in-line Merc's on a boat. They were tall and skinny, so they could get 6 on. I guess it's like Mount Everest. If it's there, somebody's going to try to climb it.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I was talking to a "Car Gal" with a blown 350 in a Chevy Vega Wagon, <br /><br />she said, "The only time you have too much power is when the voltage regulator fails."

Squeakit

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here at Lake Havasu AZ, my wife and I get a kick out of taking our 12ft aluminum boat with bimini top and powered by a '57 Evinrude 5.5hp Fisherman out on the lake and up Bridgewater Channel to watch the boat-and-people show. We wonder how all these 20-somethings can afford to drive 36-40ft fire-breathing offshore behemoths that cost several times our net worth. The real kicker is the reaction we get to our low-budget boat. Some laughs, lots of smiles and lots of "thumbs up." In a world of glitzy pricey machines, we're so uncool, we're cool! Love it!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Squeakit - any bets on whose having the best time? Or whose more afraid of scratching the hull?<br /><br />I bet you guys have just as much fun, are not near as paranoid and are more relaxed!<br /><br />The thought of their gas bill alone scares me!

miloman

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I often wonder what these people think when for the most part they go into extreme debt to purchase the boat and even more debt to finance the gas

attila

Recruit

Now you know why Bush had to bomb the Arabs, he probably has one of those gas-guzzlers

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Check out this months Bass and Walleye Boats magazine. Theres a guy in there with 2 200 Mariners on a 20' bass boat.<br /><br />I had no idea bass could swim that fast.....

mattttt25

Commander

would fear taking a bass boat to 100hp...<br /><br />one the 900hp issue, intrepid, one the highest-end boats out there, routinely puts triple 300s on the back of their 37' center and walkarounds. according to numerous reviews i've read, they can do 65mph in 3ft seas, turn the helm over as hard as possible and still maintain 100% control. crazy stuff out there if you have the money...

ledgefinder

Ensign

Does he sell just the "Unlimited" tag? I lost the one off our 10' jon boat.

ledgefinder

Ensign

Does he sell just the "Unlimited" tag? I lost the one off our 10' jon boat.

Kenny Bush

Chief Petty Officer

The faster the boat......the more time for fishing. What happened to all the big power haters on this board? Heck, I get flack for any type of big power.........BushCat

FlyBoyMark

Ensign

I wanna make my 12' car topper go 50 MPH... :D <br />(What kinda wings and rudder ya think I need?)

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Hey Mark - in the article he claims between 110 and 115 (kind of a wide range, dont ya think?). <br /><br />Its like at the Hot Boat Reunions - late Friday afternoon about 1/2 the boats in the parking lot will hit 100 - add 4 hours and alchol, all will do 100 (except mine - goes 88) - add 2 hours and more alchol and everybody is up to 110 (except mine - still 88) - by midnight everybody is doing at least 120 (except me - still 88) and not one boat has been in the water.<br /><br />On Saturday its amazing how few see ANY tripple digits. And mine still does 88, but its fun to listen to all the stories about why they couldnt do it. <br /><br />Its always a good time!

what200

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Dhadley<br /><br />I thought that was part of the fun. What's a hot boat meet without a little bench racing??