Merc 115 Plug wires

NathanY

Commander
In all my dealings with these motors, this has never been an issue, but I was working on my 1978 Merc 115 and one of the plug wires came off the distributor cap. Is this repairable, or do I have to buy a new cap and wires? Is there a way to replace the wires? I thought these where made into the cap, but I dont know.

NathanY

Commander
Re: Merc 115 Plug wires

Tried to find just the plug wires, but could not find just the wires, cross referenced with merc express and could not find any wires.

Kenny Bush

Chief Petty Officer

nathan, I think those plug wires are screwed into the cap. The end that slides into the cap should have a small threaded stud on the end. The replacement wires are expensive. I used some automotive "slide in" type wires on one of mine and it worked just fine. Goodluck.... BushCat :D :rolleyes: :cool: :p :)

Gold Bear

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nathan <br /><br />Carefully wedge a screw driver up into the cap and unscrew the terminal. You will find that it is made of brass. Clean it up. Trim a little of the insulation off of the end of the wire that pulled out. You will see that there is a wire core inside the plug wire. Trim 3/8" of insulation off the end so some of the wire core sticks out. Heat the terminal (a butane torch works just fine) and melt some solder into it. Before the solder can harden stick the end of the wire in and let it cool.<br /><br />Use just a dab of di-electric grease on the end of the brass terminal so it won't seize in the future.<br /><br />Good Luck,<br /><br />Gold Bear ;)