just wont to hear it run

richiej

Cadet
i just bought a 70 model fixer upper with a 70 125hp evinrude out board. i got it home and checked it out and this is what i found. i have 135 lbs. of compression on each cylinder.i have only spark at my plugs when the ignition switch is let off of. the wire from what someone told me is a trigger under the flywheel to the power pack was corroded and brittle .i replaced the wire and still nothing. how can i test stator, powerpack, and coil.also is there a thing called a trigger. should i try this project or is this engine to old.thanhs

alcan

Commander
Re: just wont to hear it run

What do you mean too old? You bought this thing for a project right. What do you care how old it is? The question is, can you fix it? Your best odds at sucess will be to aquire a manual. Either buy one or find one at the library.

even125

Seaman

Yeah what do you mean old, I have 71 for a project boat also. Make sure you keep the carbon down on these engines, I have between 130 and 135psi, amazing how the old girl is in better running order than alot of 10 year old engines.<br />O'yeah if you start it on muffs make sure you are wearing some on your ears as well and that every baby for a mile radius is awake and feeding. Good luck with the old girl.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to Evinrude Troubles.