Excessive fuel use on new rebuild startup/breakin

captweed

Cadet
Did a complete rebuild on a Merc 200 v-6 carb mid 90's offshore outboard.One hole resleeved professionally,new pistons,etc.Motor is spitting fuel out of the bleed hoses and oil tank pressuring fitting on block(injection removed)Carbs were fitted with new bowl float valves only,nothing else removed or replace from carbs.I bypassed the choke solenoid valve,same thing.( it wasn,t working anyway)Tried another fuel pump from sister motor,same thing.Motor seems to be running good and smooth on heavy oil,uses 2 gallon in 15 minutes.No fuel spilling from carb throats.This is first complete rebuild for me,Triple checked piston direction,I don't think this is blowby fuel eithertill rings seat.Checked bleed hose routing.Where is fuel coming from? May take carbs off sister motorand try,also do compression check all around.What could be happening,this can't be normal?Plumbed carbs same as sister motor. thanks

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral
Re: Excessive fuel use on new rebuild startup/breakin

gonna guess a lean condition caused rebuild.<br />maybe time for a complete R/R of the carbs?<br />also, what RPM's are you pushin at WOT?<br />my .02,<br />M.Y.

captweed

Cadet

A broke oil tube caused piston to seize bigtime from previous owner.All jets were blown clean.Checked the air valve in head for proper operation for warmup,wondering why the choke pump solonoid isn't getting fuel from top carb bowl.The fuel is spraying out of all the hose barbs on the reed box and crank cover.Going to see if the crank fitting for fuel pump has a check valve in it,allother bleed fitting check valves tested OK.Haven't ruled out carbs somehow.

captweed

Cadet

All is well.I ran a similiar engine I just got (an EFI)also.It does same thing.The taps on the cylinders pressurize the lower crankcase,this fuel spits thru check valvesand is routed into carbs and EFI housing.The tap on the EFI for oil tank pressure also spits some fuel mist,must be ok to get some in resevoir.The EFI has a sight glass you can see the volume of fuel being handled and returned,steady stream of drops.This must just be excess fuel,good for lubrication.Never had Mercs before.It's happy hour