BRAND NEW 1971 mercury

ricefarmer

Recruit
howdy, I am new to this BB but I hope you will help me out. I just bought a 1971 mercury outboard. It is elec. start , has power trim, short shaft, i think. the kicker is the motor was still in the shipping crate. it has never been started. the original 1971 6 gal gas can has never had gas in it . this thing looks like it just came off the showroom floor. I mean , it was a little dirty ,but after a good bath she shined just like an '03 model. man is it pretty. any way the help I need is, how much would this motor be worth to the right person in your opinion??? also , who could you reccomend that I would talk to about buying this little jewel? surely there is a collector out there or someone who restores old boats that might have just the place for this motor. :) :) :)

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: BRAND NEW 1971 mercury

Put that puppy on ebay. That's where you'll get the best price for it.<br />Where you do all dat rice farmin' at, eh?<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

ricefarmer

Recruit

that would be down in swamp east MISSOURI. eat more rice! I thought about ebay but was not sure because I have never done that and do not know the in and outs of that business.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

I don't know all the in's and out's either but I do know that all the serious boat types keep their eye on ebay. A few boat BB's even have a special thread where they post interesting ebay stuff.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

miloman

Lieutenant Junior Grade

seems you got lucky why not put it on your boat

NathanY

Commander

That engine would sell 1000-1500 on eBay. I do alot of ebay sales, primarily outboards and parts for them. If I can be of any help let me know. Also ChineWalker ( a brother member of iboats) collects those old Mercs. You might Email him.<br /><br />Here is is webpage<br /><br /> http://www.pfs-ware.com/smith

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

wouldn't sittin in a crate for 30yrs cause some<br />serious problems? would the rings still be good?<br />just curoius???<br />M.Y.

ricefarmer

Recruit

thanks Nathan, i had already sent him an email. just waiting to hear his thoughts on the subject.<br /> as far as the rings I would think they would be just fine. I plan to change impellers and the oil. I can turn the motor by hand on the flywheel so i know the piston is not stuck.

D

DJ

ricefarmer,<br /><br />If you are going to sell it to a collector, I wouldn't change any parts.<br /><br />Untouched makes it worth more.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

right DJ... including the crate and any factory<br />packing materials, weighbills, shipping labels etc.