Converting Tiller to Control Steering

kemplers

Recruit
Hi,<br />I am trying to convert a 40HP 1996 Mariner Outboard that is currently tiller steer to control steering. I am thinking of using the Teleflex control steering kits which seem pretty reasonably priced.<br />The problem I have is converting the motor. Currently, it is only sitting on the back of the boat. I have the following problems that I need to fix. Any ideas would be much appreciated:<br />1. The motor is not currently connected to battery. How do I do this?<br />2. How do I remove the tiller arm and place the steering kit on the motor?<br />3. I think I need to purchase a starter motor for key ignition - currently manual start? How, where, what model etc. do i do this? What other parts do I need to convert from manual to key start?<br />4. How do I connect the control box to the motor? Which wires go where? How do I remove the manual gear shift handle from the tiller steer and so that the control box will shift gear instead?<br />My email address is: kemplers@hotmail.com<br />Any help would be extremely appreciated.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Converting Tiller to Control Steering

kemplers <br />A manual will answer most of your questions with regards to wiring,controls and removing the tiller. You will need to have your serial number to find out which model you have and to get the parts. That being said, this will cost you a good bit of change to convert it, so you may want to take a look at the links below and price the parts first, before you make a decision to do the swap. (Make sure you have the correct serial # before you start looking)<br /><br />web page 1 <br /><br /> web page 2