Will this control box work with my Mercury...

y2jericho

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Im looking for an aftermarket control box as the one on my Mercury Thunderbolt 650cc 1970 65hp (red band i believe) is being shoddy as the idle lever moves when i move the throttle... They want $300 for a used control box unfortunately :)/) and i don't want to fork out that much for a control box unless its new<br /><br />I found an aftermarket control box on ebay<br /><br />
i-1.JPG
<br /><br />This box looks very similar to the one i have but it has no key/choke so i would have to embed this into the dashboard.. Though this control box has a kill switch which is a real safety issue to me and i would love to hvae it<br /><br />Any help/ideas would be great as the auction ends in 2 days<br /><br />There is no description of the remote just that it is new and has a kill switch

y2jericho

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Will this control box work with my Mercury...

Without iboats and its users i wouldn't hvae completed my boat project properly and safely.<br /><br />Now i only hvae to replace control box and lower unit but no money for unit at this moment unfortunately :D <br /><br />Thanks ;)

y2jericho

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Please can anyone help ;)

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

SORRY DUDE... ain't no way of tellin from photo.<br />good luck,<br />M.Y.<br />(edit)<br />does it say quicksilver? that's a merc orig....

NathanY

Commander

That looks just like the box that I have on my 1978 115 HP inline 6, I dont know if it will work on your boat, but it works good on mine, my dad had to change alot of wires around though.

S.T. Marine

Petty Officer 1st Class

y2jericho,<br /><br />That box will work on the motor.. Just need control cables and a wiring harness which could be more than getting a used box for your motor. I do have what you are looking for, for you motor. A complete box, harness and cables from your era motor please e mail me if interested thanks

y2jericho

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds great...<br /><br />I have the wiring haress from old control box its just the box and levers are fu*ked beyond repair.<br /><br />I have another question.. My control box currently has a hole at the front and top .. the top for the choke button and the front for the key if you know what i mean like the ignition key is in the control box. Would i be able to fit in similarily in this quicksilver control box or would i have to do it seperately by putting the key, choke into my dashboard seperately from the box or does it all fix into the box (i don't care either way i will tinker it as i konw how to solder and somehow make it)<br /><br />Thanks again

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

y2jericho <br />I know which control you're talking about, as I had the same one on my old Merc. I don't see why you couldn't switch the wiring to the new box. The old box has the choke button on the top and the key switch in the back. The choke button just shoots 12 Volts to the choke selonoid. Just wire it the same, but use the key switch function for choke instead. Doesn't matter if you push a button on top or push the key, as long as you send power to the choke selonoid. You will have to figure out which terminal on the ignition switch to use on the new box for the choke, but that should be easy enough using an ohmmeter. Also, you will have to determine which terminals are for the starting and kill circuit on the ignition switch. Should work fine. I'm sure the terminals on the new switch will be labeled with letters or numbers, which can be deciphered after you get it.

y2jericho

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wicked!!!<br /><br />I just bought the control box its practically brand new with just minor scratches from storage on rough table and the inside is completely new... I just love how the gears lock in place and are not clumsy like in mine which made me back into quite a few buoys because gears wouldn't want to knock in properly. Even the grease inside is still the original and not even with a bit of dirt<br /><br />I realised that the original key slot i had from the old box won't work on the new one as it has seperate choke/key.. Ill get one of the push key choke slots from the wreckers on the weekend and ill start decyphering and soldering! <br /><br />Only drawback i see if the KEY ON plug i had on the back of my old control box has no room now so ill just drag the wires out of the front under the control box then under dashboard to wher ei need them so its no biggie just not nice<br /><br />Thanks Guys ill probably be asking a few more questions soon (i hope not though)<br /><br />If you guys have anymore suggestions they would be great

y2jericho

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well i got the box as you know its great. Bought a new key for $60 AUD and now i have some trouble descrambling the wires... <br /><br />Its the Quicksilver commander box replacement push choke key slot<br /><br />I got 6 different colours coming out<br /><br />Yellow with black stripe<br />Yellow with red stripe<br />Black wiht yellow stripe split into 2 cables on end<br />Red Split into 2 cables on end<br />Purple - Split into 2 cables on end<br />Black split into 2 cables on end..<br /><br />Can anyone help me with these so i could possible start soldering with my old box... <br /><br />Thanks guys

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

y2jericho <br /><br />Try here for diagrams:<br /><br /> web page<br /><br />Also:<br /><br /> wiring

y2jericho

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Close but no cigar.. Didn't help really for different wireing harness

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Are you just trying to wire your old harness to the new key switch? If so, you may have to substitute some colors to the switch. Follow the diagrams to see which wire from the switch goes to which component and if the colors don't match, you will have to trace them down and attach them accordingly to the switch, no matter what the color. Just write down which color you are using for the components.

y2jericho

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Basically yep<br /><br />The colours i specified before are coming out of my new Quicksilver switch i bought.. And im trying to hook it up to my old wires and also implementing the kill switch just incase i fall overboard.

y2jericho

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok alot more information.. I have dismantled everything<br /><br />As you know coming out of my key switch i have <br /><br />Yellow with black stripe<br />Yellow with red stripe<br />Black wiht yellow stripe split into 2 cables on end<br />Red Split into 2 cables on end<br />Purple - Split into 2 cables on end<br />Black split into 2 cables on end..<br /><br />And coming out of my old harness cable from motor i have these cables.<br /><br />Reddish/Brownish (connected the aluminium of control box casing)<br /><br />Brown (Connected to a screw terminal just near the electrical output plug on the back of the control box which is used for the dash board etc..<br /><br />black (connected to the old switch [on U or I terminal (very hard to read)<br /><br />yellow (connected to the gear switch inhibitor thing or start in gear thing whatever its called then a wire is connected to key switch to the B terminal from the other side of gear switch inhibitor thing)<br /><br />pink (Connected to old switch on E terminal)<br /><br />white (connected to F terminal on key switch then another cable comes off it to 1 side of the choke switch <br /><br />grey (the other side of choke switch which goes back to engine<br /><br />I believe this is all i can help<br /><br />This is like a terrible puzzle for me and i have no idea how to rewire this monster.<br /><br />Can anyone make me a diagram of some sort or help me rewire it.. It smells all the same but i don't know what wires for what from my new key and some from my old one<br /><br />Thanks guys.. Bad news is i have to have it completed by thursday so i can take to mechanic to get a reconditioned gearbox<br /><br /> :)

y2jericho

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The problem is i don't know which wire is which from the new key switch with hte colours mentioned before<br /><br />its a Quicksilver Commander Push choke/key switch replacement thing<br /><br /> :) any ideas on how to figure them out?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

From key switch:<br />Yellow with black stripe = To choke<br />Yellow with Red stripe = To starter solenoid<br />Black with Yellow stripe = Magneto/short to Kill<br />Red = 12V from battery<br />Black to Ground<br /><br />Best I can do for now. Start a new post using "Merc ignition wiring help". I know there are wiring gurus out there that can help.

y2jericho

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks mate<br /><br />Your a legend that just helped me so much ;)