Which direction does the Thermostat go in?

9675hpforce

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Its for a 1996 75hp force/bymercury. I took it apart again today to flush the engine while running hope thats ok. Before I disasembled there was good water flow out the pee hole. Now while idle no water comes out,impeller is in good shape. Where could the water be going in the cyl? How does the thermo work on these engines does it need to come up to temp before water shoots out. I looked at the parts list and shows a spacer for the new thermo what does this do. Model # OE117457 at mercurymarineparts.com Could I have the thermo in backwards.

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: Which direction does the Thermostat go in?

96,75hpforce<br />To start with I do not know your motor but every motor I have ever worked on the thermostat the coil and cylinder went toward the block. Also many have a small hole drilled or a small v cut in the valve area, this hole should be at top or up. The hole allows air to escape when start engine up so block fills with water and thermostat spring and cylinder are in the water before it opeans. I never seen a spacer but most have a O ring seal or Rubber seal. All that I have seen water comes out pee hole weather the thermostat is open or closed. Water out the water outlet will have very little flow until the engine is up to temperature and the thermostat opens. Try sticking a small wire up your engines pee hole or back flushing the pee hole.

9675hpforce

Petty Officer 3rd Class

small v is up I did not see this on the part

dmessy

Chief Petty Officer

Cone out, spring cylinder in Fish... water will come out telltale upon start up,check slots to rear of lower leg when running at idle. Water should be spurting out(not spray). You prob. have obstruction in telltale hose or fitting on the end of it. Doesn't take much to block the flow, a grain of rock, mud daubber gook. Seeing as how you have the t-stat out,flush water through that hose to assure flow, Good luck.

9675hpforce

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I ran the engine with the themo out and water came with good presure out the block. When the water comes up and touches the spring on the thermo and it opens up water should go out the pee hole and I noticed on the lower thermo housing an open area below the block. Does the water come through the thermo then down into the block? Could small rocks and stuff be plugging the engine.