1979 Mercury Outboard (Cracked Lower Unit)

I have a 1979 Mercury 115 HP Outboard and the lower unit housing is cracked. I also have a 1964 Mercury 65 Outboard with a good lower unit housing but the reverse is out of it. My questions are: Will the lower unit housing from the 65 horse interchange with the 115 horse lower unit gears and housing? OR Should I try welding the cracked lower unit housing because I dont have a lot of funds to spend on it right now! Any HELP would be appreciated. Thanks Terry

alcan

Commander
Re: 1979 Mercury Outboard (Cracked Lower Unit)

Hi Ranger<br /> What caused the crack? Where exactly is it? Does the crack leak gear oil?

Re: 1979 Mercury Outboard (Cracked Lower Unit)

I am not sure what caused it. Maybe water of from sitting so long. It is cracked from the drain plug around the front of the prop shaft housing to the other side. Yes it does leak gear oil. Thats why I noticed it was cracked. It leaked the whole lower unit dry in about 3 weeks and it was also milky looking so it did have some more water in it. I changed the lube and took the boat out and ran it for about a half hour before I put it up for the winter.