first fishing trip results.. need help

boaterntexas

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well I too the ole '76er out for it'f first fishing trip wich was very much disaister. We had som enginge ploblems, maybe you guys can help<br /> the boat is a 17' hydrosport 1776 with a 1976 115 merc with thunderbolt. <br /> The tilt and trim did not work well all day, it would trim up fine but down was alwyas tricky, when we where done boating for the day the trim wouldn't even try to work, no sound form the trim motor, after we got it out of the water how ever it worked fine. <br /><br /> The motor starterd easier than I expected on the very cold morning, and ran well for a while, till we can to a very shallow area, we ended up high centered and eventually had to run the motor for about 7 mins, through some really muddy shawllow water, while doing so it would seem the motor was slipping gear occaisionally after doing so, the stream of water that come out the side of the motor, went form a strong stream to a mear sputter, or trickel at best.<br /> After we landed the boat I noticed so gooey , kaki colored stuff running for the two slots (what I believe to be the exhuatst) where the lower unit meets the upper unit, it tasted and smelt alot like gas.<br /><br /> Basically my questions are.<br /> What can I do for the tilt and trim, can I chage the fluid? unfortanetly I can't tell waht make or modle the trim motor is.<br /><br /> How bad did we hurt the boat buy running it through the GUNK. and what can we to do fish the water circulation.<br /><br /> what was the stuff comming out of my "exhuast" and is it normal..<br /><br /> Guys agian thank for all your great and proffesionaly like advice<br /><br /> Thomas

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: first fishing trip results.. need help

Lots of issues to address, do let's start where you did, with the trim.<br />The trim motor runs a hydrolic pump that pumps hydrolic fluid to the ram. If you heard this motor run, it is a good bet that the fluid reseviour was low.<br />If it could not be heard, it is a switch or relay problem.<br /><br />As for the running aground, yes bad news on three fronts....Lower unit gearcase, prop hub,and impeller.<br />The mud that got sucked-up into the engine could have destroyed the impeller (it is just rubber, and should now be replaced).They only last a year or two under normal conditions.<br />This mud clogs the water circuit too. Add to this, the thermostat. (remove and clean, flush the engine.<br />Drain/inspect lower unit fluid for signs of water and/or metal contamination.<br /><br />The slipping you refered to is more than likely due to a spun out hub in the prop. Remmove it, and send it to a prop shop for rehubbing.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

By the way, those are great engines.<br />Very powerfull and popular, so parts are easyier than normal to come by.

boaterntexas

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for the help.. Just one more follow up question.<br /> how difficult is it to cahge the water impellor. and how bout knowing how to change the fluid on the tilt and trim motor?