125 Merc ELPTO Carb Tunning - doesn't idle very well

zepplinswt

Cadet
Little History First:<br /><br />The motor was just recently rebuilt and when I got it back it was running really rich, and wasn't running very well at all. It was "douhle stroking" @ wot is what the mechanic told me that worked on it. He said it would go away after running the right oil:gas mixture. Anyways I talked to a certified Merc Mechanic and he said it shouldn't be doing this and that the carbs probably needed a little adjusting. So I gave the boat to a to him which he tuned the carbs and now it runs better at wot but it won't idle very well. When in neutral it will idle for a second the pop of few times and die. Same goes for when in gear but idling. It will stay running if above 1000 rpms. Is it the idle that needs adjusting or are the carbs running to lean? <br /><br />What is the correct rpm it should be at in neutral and in water? Thanks in advance.

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: 125 Merc ELPTO Carb Tunning - doesn't idle very well

I would verify cylinder compression, the correct jets are in the correct location, correct carbuator, timing, fuel pump pressure, and link/sync.

THE-TAZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like a similar problem I had after changing cables and tried to adjust idle (linkage) out of the water on muffs. Put it in the water it would do the same thing, idle momentarily and die out. Adjusted everything correctly while in the water and it did fine. As far as your idle specs I don't know but my Mariner is 650+-rpm. Hope this helps. <br /><br />Taz

Gold Bear

Petty Officer 1st Class

zepplinswt <br /><br />Try turning the idle mixture screw out another 1/2 turn.<br /><br />Good Luck,<br /><br />Gold Bear ;)