Piston ring stuck in piston

John Dudley

Cadet
I am trying to replace the piston ring in my 2.5HP mariner, but I can't get the old ring out of the piston.<br />Do I have to remove the locating pin in the piston ring groove to get the ring out? If I do how do I do it? <br />Maybe a new piston coming up?<br />Thanks

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Piston ring stuck in piston

I am assuming you have the piston out of the engine. I would suggest that an aggressive solvent used liberally (submerge it and let it soak overnight) would get it. If you've already done that, you might even try a solvent based paint remover, just make sure it is solvent based and not something with lye in it . The solvents are not going to hurt the aluminum (not the case with lye). The ring is stuck in there with what amounts to varnish (dryed gas gum and carbon). I don't know any brand names in Austrailia, but some of the spray cans of brake cleaner here use chlorinated hydrocarbons like perchloroethylene which is prettey aggressive but wont hurt the aluminum.

Capt Ken

Commander
Re: Piston ring stuck in piston

Easy fix. Lock the connecting rod in a vise and with a small torch, heat the head of the piston. The metal will expand the the ring will pop out easy.