48 Champion info

pparme

Cadet
I have a 1948 champion 7.9HP I am looking for a face plate for the front on the motor that supports the choke assembly. Any Ideas? I would like to know what it is worth. I have someone interested in a trade and don't want anyone to get ripped off.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: 48 Champion info

The AOMCI site is at www.aomci.org, then go to the Ask A Member board. Don't ask what its worth though...they don't like that much. Peter Hunn's Old Outboard Book lists all postwar champions, 2cylinders, at a value of $20 to $90, depending on condition. Keep an eye on the ebay auctions....lots of old champs go through there at reasonable prices.

alcan

Commander
Re: 48 Champion info

Hi Phil<br />Here is the deal with old outboard prices. Now don't take wrong, I'm not trying to be rude here. Most of us guy's do this for a hobby. There are ton,s more motors available that there are hobbiest. Most of us would not buy a completly restored champion that ran better than looked even if it was next to free. Why? Because it doesn't need us, there is nothing to tinker with, nothing to fix, no hobby. Most of the fellows I know are much happier digging some old junk out of a barn or G-sale for a few bucks and playing with it. So value is set upon what I call the tinkers darn scale. It ain't worth a tinkers darn to anyone except another darn tinker. Those Champion with hydro static drive are interesting aren't they. They supposedly had the smoothest, infanant trolling settings. I have had a couple of these over the years. They were too far gone for me. I passed them on to a good home.