Extra orifice on motor

crocket104

Cadet
As i was looking over my motor I noticed a hole about the size of a 4 penny nail, just above the cavitation plate that to me looks perfectly round, like it was drilled on purpose. It is on the right side, as you face the motor, on the opposite side of the flush hole. It is the 69, 9.8 merc110. Is this normal or extremely bad news.<br /><br />Thanks Everyone<br /><br />Dave

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Extra orifice on motor

What engine do you have, Crocket?<br /><br />Please read the link to "Suggestions for New Posters" at the top of the page. :) <br /><br />It is probably an inlet for your speedometer.

crocket104

Cadet

JB,<br /><br />I guess I didn't state it well enough in my posting, sorry. A 1969, 9.8 hp, merc 110.<br />Thanks for your help.<br /><br />Thanks<br />Dave :)

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Hey crocket...<br /><br />What you probably are seeing is a cavity drain. Most engines have them to let the water drain from the cavity in and around where the shift shaft goes into the lower unit else any trapped water would freeze in the winter and bust upen the housing.<br /><br />Jim

crocket104

Cadet

Thanks Outboard,<br />I really appreciate the response. You and yours have a good day.<br /><br />Crocket104 :)