How much do these motors weigh. I need to find out asap thanks you legends :D

y2jericho

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a Mercury 650cc 65hp 1970 Thunderbolt<br /><br />And a Chrysler 1978 120hp 4 cylinder <br /><br />Both motors are 4 cylinder.. How much difference would the weight be between them because im trying to change from the merc to the chrysler on my 4.33m De Havilland Runabout.<br /><br />How much do each roughly weigh.. And how much CC would the chrysler have.. Also just thinkin, because the chrysler is pretty much empty its very easy to get to the powerhead (no parts around it like in the merc) and because its also a 4 cylinder not a 6 or 8 it should roughly weigh the same right maybe the difference 10kg-15kg which wouldn't put to muhc strain on the transom right?<br /><br />Thanks again

ob

Admiral
Re: How much do these motors weigh. I need to find out asap thanks you legends :

Re: How much do these motors weigh. I need to find out asap thanks you legends :

Chrysler weighs in at around 300 lbs(136kg) and the merc weighs around 210 lbs(95kg).That 120 is a lot of motor to be hanging on a runabout under 15ft.Weight difference between the two is around 40 kg.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I would stick with the Merc.The boat will handle better and it should be easier to get parts for it.<br /> Many feel the Chrysler has a reputation<br />for poor performance and reliability.<br /> The Merc is based on a basic proven design that<br /> started in the very early 50s.