New motor recommendations

Docja

Cadet
I'm in the market for a 90 or 115 and get so much conflicting advise re omc vs merc vs yamaha vs 2 vs 4 stroke. any independent (consumer report-type)sources of info? What do y'all prefer, proc/cons -I'll be in salt water mostly.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral
Re: New motor recommendations

whichever one your fav. mechanic is most experienced on and most able to maintain/repair/<br />supply parts etc.

BR549

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I was on the gulf coast a couple of weeks ago and noticed that most of the commercial outfits were running Mercury or Honda's. If you are buying a new motor, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. I believe the biggest determining factor of any new motor's reliability is the owner.

miloman

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would probubly go with a 115 evinrude di they seem to have worked out thier issues with di wher as mercury has a great deal of trouble with optimax but alas if budget is no big deal then Honda although all motors are going to have a fresh water port so as long as you are religious about flushing it hooty is right any of these motors with proper maintence is fine

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Two Words: { Service Department }<br /><br />Who's Service Department will be there when you need them?... Find the one that will , then you've found your motor... ;)

D

DJ

Docja,<br /><br />Snapperbait just settled it for you.

tosj

Seaman Apprentice

Hi,<br /><br />I'm in exactly same situation as you are and it's not easy. I have looked at Yamaha's F100 and 90 AETOL and Merc's 115 EFI(4-stroke) and classic 90(2-stroke) and can't decide which one is the best. Personally I think that the 4-strokes are too expensive right now and they require a lot more service(all this about valves and camshafts and so on..they also weights more) so I will concentrate on the 2-strokes. Yamaha have better guarantee and weights less than the Merc but Merc have better alternator(18 amp, yamaha have 10amp) and more cc than the yamaha. So, Merc suits me better but I haven't got the end-price on the merc yet so I think that the destiny(read:price) will decide weather to use Merc or Yama. ;) <br /><br />Good luck anyway!

bossee

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hi Docja,<br />This J.D. Power and Associates Reports might guide you in right direction?<br /> http://www.jdpa.com/studies_jdpower/pressrelease.asp?StudyID=653&CatID=1 <br /><br />Maybe Yamaha is more expensive but it seems the customers are very satisfied with their outboards. One thing I have noticed about Yamaha outboards is you can get an "Extended Service" that takes over when the original factory 3 year warranty (pleasure boat) expires. I do not know what it cost but seems like a good thing for people that want that. I have also noticed Suzuki has Suzuki’s standard 3-Year warranty and you can get six years now with the 3-Year "Extended Protection Plan" in US(except FL). <br />Probably Mercury and others has similar extended warranty/protection to buy extra.<br /><br />One thing, if it is important to you, is that Yamaha F115 only has 2006 C.A.R.B. two-star rating, not 2008 three-star rating. But the new Yamaha F90 has 2008 three-star rating (F90 is not EFI, it has carburators). Suzuki DF 115, DF 90 (both EFI) and Mercury 115 EFI and Mercury 90(not EFI) all has 2008 C.A.R.B. three-star rating. Also Mercury 115 EFI is probably the lightest 4-stroke 115 hp today with only 386 lbs (175 kg), if that is important to you.

inventor1

Cadet

Four stroke's are the only way to go PERIOD!!<br />The technology has come to the point where the down sides are virtually eliminated. weight.... not really an issue anymore, power...... I own a honda crf 450r dirtbike ride it and then tell me that fourstrokes are slow. Buy a two-stroke if you want a exibit in a museum. cost.........wait till you start dumping gallons of pre mix in the dinosaur(and it's got to be the good stuff or the motor will break!) and then tell me a two stroke is cheaper.<br />two srokes suck four strokes truck!!!! :D

tosj

Seaman Apprentice

Hi again,<br /><br />The new 4-stroke EFI engines are probably the best but they are too expensive where I live (in Finland). The difference is about 4000 euro, it's about 4000$, I get a lot of gas for 4000 euro.. ;) <br /><br />Now it looks like it will be Yama 90 2-stroke, thanks to Bo's link above. Tack Bo för tipset, thank you Bo for the tip.<br /><br />/Illis