Merc 200 20 HP

NathanY

Commander
I have a 1974 Merc 20 HP and I am wanting to repaint it. What kind of paint should I use? I know to use zinc chromate primer, but I want a good paint that is not going to flake off when I run it. Krylon is not going to cut it, I have tried this, and it does not work. Should I use automotive grade paint, or is there something better? Also can this cast alunimum be welded? I broke the corner off of the cavitation plate, this will be covered by a hydrofoil, but I still want it fixed. Any help is appreciated.

alcan

Commander
Re: Merc 200 20 HP

Hi Nathan<br />Yes your cavittion plate can be welded. A prop shop should fix you right up. I am not trying to advertise, But whats wrong with Krylon. I've used it for years on outboards and outdrives. Makes them look brand new and lasts good. My father-in-law turned me on to this, if it's good enough for him it's good enough for anyone. If your having problems with it you will have to figure out whats up, it't not the paint.

ob

Admiral

Nathan , If there's a West Marine in your area they sell a variety of outboard motor paints in a spray can.

rons boat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nathan: A friend of mine here in Heber springs repairs the metal on that motor and is an excellent aluminum welder. He uses the real Merc Factory paint and doesn't use primer any more. He is good for free advice. I bet the guys who host this website have that paint in stock. I took a 20hp Merc prop that I picked up in Fla last year over to Allens to see if anybody needed it and I think it is still there. It was new old stock and I only paid $30 for it . Since you are here in Ar I will pass you Allans number and if you want ask about that prop. 501 362 0275