tilt and trim

msbadhabit

Recruit
I have a 1989 mercury 135 black max that when sitting in the yard not running I can put fuel throttle handle all the way down like the motor is running wide open at top speed and I can trim motor all the way up. When the motor is running and put throttle handle down it only trims up half way, can anyone explain why and how to fix it?????

Waterbugtoo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: tilt and trim

When you say trim are you meaning just the trim mode, or are you speaking of the entire tilt/trim range fo the unit?

radsrh

Petty Officer 1st Class

It sounds to me like you a referring to the entire tilt and trim when you are at home on the trailer, the cowling of the motor sitting in the back of the boat in the full tilt mode. When out on the water with the motor running the tilt/trim will only allow you to trim the motor out from the boat and not tilt it completely out of the water, if you would tilt the motor when it was running you would dammage the water pump as well as burn up the power head.

Greyfox60

Recruit

I have a 40 hp Mariner Magnum. It has a safety feature so that if it is running over 2,000 rpm, then it will not tilt up all the way. I believe the lock out point is 20 degrees, but not positive on this. It just keeps from taking water intakes out of water when running. So, what you experianced is a safety feature, not something that is a problem, so there is nothing to fix here.