MERCURY 60 Hp 3CYL 1984

bignose

Recruit
CAN ANYONE GIVE ME ANY ADVICE ON HOW TO STOP MY ENGINE BLOWING NO.1 PISTON (TOP. I HAVE RE-JETTED THE TOP CARB AND RETARDED THE IGNITION BY 3 DEGREES, THE WATER PUMPS NEW, IM USING REGULAR UNLEADED FUEL, AND QUICK SILVER OIL. SHOULD I USE A PROP WITH LESS PITCH AS THE ENGINE WILL ONLY REV TO 5400 RPM AND NOT TO 5800 AS RECOMENDED... HELP IT IS GETTING EXPENSIVE!

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: MERCURY 60 Hp 3CYL 1984

Hi Bignose,<br /><br />Can you describe what is happening when it blows? Any certain speed or conditions that coincide with the problem? Is this a gradual thing or does it just seize up? How long will it run before you need to rebuild it again? Also, what does the piston and cylinder wall look like after it goes? This may help in the diagnosis! Possibly overheating on the top cylinder. Lean condition. Could be many things, but usually the condition of the affected parts, will tell the story.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Run a colder plug on that cylinder.Feel the head<br /> when running should be too hot to hold your hand on but not so hot it burns your hand.I would suspect a cooling problem. Does the plug show any indications of running hot.<br /> If your automatic oiler is running a little<br /> lean my very limited expierence has been that the upper cylinders show the effects of a lean mix before the lower cylinders.

clanton

Rear Admiral

I dont know what your engine problem is, but after the repair is done I would mark the flywheel and check timing on all three cylinders at full throttle, engine loaded.

mrwrench

Cadet

i am new how do i add my new question

Last edited: