76Merc1150 - How much water from telltale?

gbillingsly

Seaman Apprentice
Got the new boat running and out on the water yesterday and wanted to find out how much water should be coming out of the telltale?<br /><br />My engine has 2 ports on the back of the motor that spit water out at high speeds, and a small rubber tube coming out of the side that also has a kind of half power stream of water spitting out.<br /><br />Just a little preventive/speculative maintenance question. I recently put a new impeller on. This may be a tough one to explain without a visual, but thought I'd give you pro's a crack at it.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: 76Merc1150 - How much water from telltale?

When it comes to engine cooling on these big engines, nothing is better than a jacket pressure gauge..Not temp gauge,telltale, nothin.<br /><br />But in leu of not having the pressure gauge mounted yet (hint-hint), keep physicaly feeling the heads and block, after running. You should be able to touch the head anywhere without getting burned (hold finger on it for 3 seconds without needing to remove it). They make "temp melt sticks".These are crayon-like things that you draw a line on the block and head with. If the temp exceeds the stick's melt temp, it melts.<br />They come in many different heat ranges.<br />When feeling out the temps using the above feel-method, also be sure to note any unequal temps between the six different plugs. This will call your attention to other problems, such as lazy cylinders, which can destroy an engine (if a lean condition exists on the particular cylinder).<br /><br />These engines will run fine on 4 outta 6 cylinders, and you'll hardly know it,until you are used to the way your new aquasition sounds under normal operating conditions.<br />Many good used ourtboards have died early due to new ownership, and not knowing something "just wasn't right".<br />Saying all that, these are great engines overall!

gbillingsly

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 76Merc1150 - How much water from telltale?

Thanks 12 Footer. I'll do some research on where to obtain a guage. Hopes are high now for this new/old boat and I'm sure that discretion will be the better part of valor until I know I've got it right.