'85 Merc 90hp air intake opening

floaterdude

Cadet
I recently bought a 16ft Forester with 1985 Mercury 90. I took it out several times and it seems to run O.K. Bought a Clymer manual to familiarize myself with the engine components and do the winterizing. One thing that I noticed, is that there seems to be a rather small slot (1/4"by 5") on the top rear of the engine shroud. This appears to be the only place that allows air into the the carburator area. There is a sheet metal plate held on with two screws which if removed would increase the opening signifcantly. Why is there about 1 sq. in. of air vent(on the downwind,somewhat vacumized side of the engine) feeding approx. 4 sq. in. of wide open carb? Does this seem adequate or should the plate be removed?

ICEMAN

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: '85 Merc 90hp air intake opening

My theory for your question would be: If it aint broke, Don't fix it. :p

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I have the feeling there is more air coming in than you are seeing. How bout through the Lift Handle at the rear of the Motor Housing? Some let air in through there.

skier

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a Merc inline 6 also. There are many air inlets all over that motor. Air comes in fron around the face plate, through where the fuel line connector is, where the controles and wires enter, under where the fuel lines and controle cables is open so that any water/fuel can escape, and so on.<br /><br />I hope this helps.<br /><br />Craig

floaterdude

Cadet

Thanks to all!<br />I took a closer look under the front and found 4 slots that you can't see from above and inside because a plastic fuel drip plate hides them.