OMC Sea Drive Help needed!!

mtbox

Recruit
I own a 1987 17' SportsCraft with a 140 Hp OMC SeaDrive. It has frozen on me. I can get my hands on a 1990 250 Hp OMC SeaDrive at a great price. Can I mount the 250 Hp on my 140 Hp Bracket? Are they the same bracket? If this is not an option doyou recommend me to Rebuild the power head or maybe Fit the boat with a Engine mount and power it with a 1997 mercury I can also get for a great price?

Reel Appeal

Chief Petty Officer
Re: OMC Sea Drive Help needed!!

mtbox,<br /> Sounds like too much horsepower and too much weight for a 17 footer mt.Check the plaque or sticker by the helm for max.horsepower and DO NOT exceed that.I think the 140 is probably close to(if not over)maximum recomended horsepower.I have a 22'boat with 225hp(max.rated 245).I use to have a 16 footer with a 70hp(max.rated 115).Keep it safe :) ,not scary :( .What horsepower is the '97 Mercury?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

mtbox - The 115 is a better choice and at that is probably more power than your boat is rated for. The 250 would be out and out dangerous.<br /><br />You did not give us any info on the 140 that you have so unless you tell us more we can't help you. You might check iboats as they do have rebuilt powerheads which will fit the SeaDrive.<br /><br />I also live in Miami and have a pair of 1988 1.6L Seadrives on my boat. Let me know if you intend to discard the powerhead that you have as I would like to disassemble one to get a feel of what is involved should I ever have to do mine. Contact me if you like at hw8478@bellsouth.net.<br /><br />Howard<br />Miami Fl

iwhitevt

Seaman Apprentice

I was looking into purchasing an '86 20' version of that boat with the same 140hp seadrive. I wanted to purchase with the intention of re-powering with a bracket and normal motor (somebody else beat me to it). From all the resources I spoke with (including 4 bracket manufacturers and others), it was agreed that this boat was a perfect candidate for a bracket conversion without the need for extra re-inforcing of the transom (given that it was in good condition). Also, many people felt that the seadrives are not worth repairing anymore, due to the lack of readily available parts. You can have a bracket kit anywhere from $550- $900 for a single depending on manufacturer. I agree with the others- you don't want the 250 on 17' unless you have a real good insurance policy.