82 Mariner V-6 150 HP, Hard Start, Rough Idle, Won't Run

ccnoah

Recruit
Here's the story:<br /><br />A friend bought a used boat with 82 150hp V-6 Mariner. Boat had sat for approx. 3 years, however the motor had not been run since being last serviced at the shop, so the motor had not sat with used gas in it. Unfortunately, the 3 year old gas was still in the tank, not drained...<br /><br />The motor was started and run in a tank on the old gas (mistake I know!) for about 20 minutes. Sounded OK, a little smokey maybe. Idled OK. Restarted OK.<br /><br />Motor sits unstarted for 2 weeks. Motor now starts hard, not at all and won't idle. Will start with throttle in full forward position, but can't idle.<br /><br />Tried new fuel mixture in a clean fuel tank, verified fuel getting through pump and enricher. Sounds like not all cylinders firing. <br /><br />Compression checked out OK. 5 cylinders @ 120 psi, 1 @ 130 psi. We have fire at all cylinders. I guess take the carbs apart next?<br /><br />Noticed something else. Played with a ground wire to the block that was worn, and the key alarm started working, except it stayed on when the engine cranks for the 5-10 seconds it will run.<br /><br />Couldn't find anything on the alarm in the book. Is the alarm staying on while the engine is running meant to indicate a problem?<br /><br />Thanks<br />Chris

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: 82 Mariner V-6 150 HP, Hard Start, Rough Idle, Won't Run

I would look at carbs, dont mix main jets some of the merc have different size main jets in the carbs. If it sat for 3 years, I would do waterpump, fuelpump, and pressure relief valve. Alarm , disconnect sensor one at at time, if alarm still stays on with sensor disconnected the alarm module is probley bad.