mercruiser starting throttle

lnklkkdak

Recruit
I have a sea-ray '86 with a mercruiser 140 I/O. I can't get, and keep it started. I "assume" the problem is; I can't give any throttle to start. On the For/Rev control, (hidden) is a limit switch, to determine a neutral position I am guessing. I can hear it click when I forward, and if I pull back to reverse. Motor won't turn over unless control is in neutral position. How do you give any throttle? <br /><br />I was told that a neutral position switch is located on the top of the motor, actuated by the cables. I found it, it is wired normally closed, and works when you shift to forward, pull back to N, and then into Rev. There are two wires, one to each side of the isolation block. With the switch removed there is continuity. <br /><br />The throttle ? is my main concern at the moment. Any suggestion would be welcome. Good or Bad :confused:

almost retired again

Chief Petty Officer
Re: mercruiser starting throttle

Hi,<br />Try Pulling out on the shift control handle while in neutral, then advance the throttle lever. The neutral safty switch is in the throttle/shift control not back at the engine; at least on all that I've worked on. I think the switch that you are talking about is a momentary kill switch that enables you to shift out of gear more easly.<br />Let us know how it works out.

wdknox

Seaman

I have a 78 model and for fast idle there is a black button in the middle of the throttle lever that allows you to increase the throttle without putting the outdrive in gear for starting. On your throttle controller there should be some way to do this.<br /><br />Good luck.

lnklkkdak

Recruit

Pulling out the handle was the problem. I broke down and took the handle off. The neutal locking position (the black sliding lever) was broken off. This kept it from coming out completly. I never would have tried it, if you didn't reply. Thanks. :eek: