1988 Mercury - 90 HP

Striper21

Recruit
I had a problem with water in my tank. I completely drained the tank, put fresh fuel in the tank and changed the fuel filter as well as the fuel water separator. Took the boat out and it ran fine for ten minutes then it started to bog down as if I had spun my hub (that was not the problem) I then decided to run it with an external tank and the same problem occurred. I was wondering if I had to do something with the engine, like clean the carbs, after having water run into the fuel. Any help will be greatly appreciated. :confused:

BKool68

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1988 Mercury - 90 HP

It is possible there is some bad gas in the float bowls. You might be able to remove the drain plugs and get it out without removing the carbs.

Striper21

Recruit

Thanks BK, I'll give that a try in the next week or two.

BKool68

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would not wait a week or two to check if possible. Water in the fuel system also means water on the crankshaft and bearings. I allowed my 1990 90 Merc to sit while figuring her out and the bearings pitted up. It ran good for a few weeks but ended up frying a rod bearing and a very expensive crank. I still have a few good parts for sale. I recommend draining the carbs immediately and running some heavy premix through her soon. I hate to see others suffer as I have.

Striper21

Recruit

BK,<br /> <br /> Once again thanks for your input. I'll get to it immediately.