Mercury Prop to Honda 45 Fit Question

wstr75

Cadet
I recently bought a Michigan Wheel Prop for Mercury 402 series (30 hp through 60 hp). It was my understanding that Mercury props will fit on Honda outboards. The prop I received (Michigan Match series 031019) slides onto the splined shaft ok, but the original thrust washers do not fit onto the Michigan hub. Is there a special thrust washer kit I need for putting a Mercury prop on a Honda? My Honda is a 1992 model 45 horsepower (BF45).<br />Thanks for any tips or help on this.<br />Bill

Frank Martin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mercury Prop to Honda 45 Fit Question

call mich.wheel or better yet stick with the honda 4 blade prop for that eng you will be much beter off !that been my personel exp.

wstr75

Cadet

I appreciate your advice, but I'm afraid my situation is a bit off the beaten path. My boat is a Scout Dorado 172 and it has twin Honda 45 engines. The original owner wanted 4 stroke power and the largest he could get in 1992 was 45 Hondas, so he put twin 45s on a boat that most people today install single 90 or 115 motors. The boat has 13 pitch props and accelerates to full plane like right now. Unfortunately, the boat only does 30 mph at 52OO rpm. According to my calculations, it could use 16" props as the motors currently will overrev up to 6400 rpm (that's as high as the throttle stops will go). Honda has up to 15" pitch-3 blade aluminum props, but they are awfully proud of them. I was trying to put the more reasonably priced Michigan props on the boat. I was reading one of the links on this board last night and saw where there is a composite prop manufacturer that has a blade replaceable series for this Honda series that goes up to 17". Does anyone have any experience with them (I can't recall the name, it was something like Vindicator or someother arcade-hall type game kind of name).<br /><br />Back to my original question, can Mercury 13 spline props be used on Honda motors and what is involved to install (thrust washers, etc)? I have sent an email to Michigan Wheel and will share the answer with everyone on this thread. However, according to their website it may be a while before I receive their reply. In the meantime, if someone out there has experience with putting Mercury props on Honda motors, like Ross Perot said, "I'm all ears!"

wstr75

Cadet

One more thing of interest, the boat will go to the same top speed on only one motor (it just takes a long, long while to climb up to speed on one motor). So it is most definitely underpropped.

D

DJ

wstr75,<br /><br />The Dorado is a great boat.<br /><br />The Honda engines use Merc. lower units. So a Merc. prop will fit.<br /><br />I've always thgought of Mich. Wheel as "will fit" prop that needed (sometimes) special thrust washers and adapters to fit a variety of engines.<br /><br />I have NEVER had good luck with them.

wstr75

Cadet

djohns19,<br />Thanks for the post. Say you have never had good luck with Michigan Wheels on a Honda? Um, I think you are correct about the special thrust washers. If they (Michigan Wheel) cannot provide me with the information as to what I can buy to fit these props, these props will be going back to Michigan Wheel.<br /><br />How about Piranha composite props? Have you had any experience with Piranha props? The attractive aspect is being able to buy different blade sets so as to be able to "dial-in" the correct prop for the job (like skiing versus boat-riding).

D

DJ

wstr75,<br /><br />Never had a Michigan Wheel on a Honda. I just never had good luck with them on ANYTHING, whether it be a Johnson/Evinrude or Yamaha.<br /><br />I don't know much about the Piranha, just what I've read. You might want to go to this website and do a search. I know they've tested them.<br /><br />www.trailerboats.com

Tracy Coleman

Petty Officer 1st Class

wstr75<br />To use a 50 Merc prop on a Honda 40-60 hp you need this Merc front thrust washer pn 835278A 1, msrp is $21.50. Hope that helps.<br />Backfire ;)