1985 200 mercury surging.

Dynobo

Recruit
Hello all. I have a 200 merc. that seems to have a surging problem after and while accelerating. From idle it will jump to approx. 3000 rpm and hesitate until eventually reaching 5000-5200. However, when cold it will usually accelerate very smoothly. These symptoms typically don't begin until the engine has been run for a few minutes. The rect. recently shorted and wiped out both switch boxes and the yellow charging wires from the stator. All have been replaced and seem to be working fine. I am presently rebuilding the carbs and will be using a different remote fuel tank to try and alleviate that as a problem. Any suggestions from you Mercury guru's before I haul this baby back to the lake for another go. Thanks.........Bobo

kjpfish

Cadet
Re: 1985 200 mercury surging.

if rebuilding the carbs do not fix your problem i would look into this: it should have one of these three items-idle stabilizer, high speed spark advance module or low/high speed spark advance module. i have a 1981 merc 200hp and mine had a idle stabilizer, when it went bad the engine would not go over 2200 rpm. if you have a shop manual it will tell about these and how to test them. they are supposed to advance the timing by 6 degrees.

Dynobo

Recruit

Thanks. If the advance modules did prove to be faulty, could you temporarily disconnect them to confirm or would the engine not run w/ them disconnected??

kjpfish

Cadet

yes you can, if you disconnect it and it runs the same i would assume that is the problem. if it runs worse then assume thats not the problem. i removed mine and left it off the onle effect it has is i have too move the throttle foward some to raise the idle when starting it cold, after that it runs perfect. the way you're supposed to test it is with a timing light. it is an electronic box with three or four wires depending on which unit you have and is mounted over the oil tank.

jmbkdrmn

Cadet

if rebuilding the carbs do not fix your problem i would look into this: it should have one of these three items-idle stabilizer, high speed spark advance module or low/high speed spark advance module. i have a 1981 merc 200hp and mine had a idle stabilizer, when it went bad the engine would not go over 2200 rpm. if you have a shop manual it will tell about these and how to test them. they are supposed to advance the timing by 6 degrees.

when your advance mod went out where did you find one an having no luck there now unavailable. 1981 black max 200.