No power- 175hp Mercury outboard

I have a 175hp, V6, oil injected Mercury outboard (around a 1985-1987), serial # A943398 that has no power at all when in gear and power (gas) applied to plane it out. It starts and idles okay with the possible exception that it may smoke more then usual at idle. But it "bogs" down (burrrrrrrrr noise) likes it's choking out on power demand. It ran fine when I put it up last fall. I discovered this problem the 1st time I took it out this spring.<br /><br />I've done the following with no success: changed the gas and squeeze bulb, cleaned all 3 carbs, ran compression check, and checked gas/oil hoses.<br /><br />I'm not an outboard mechanic, but I was wondering if this is a power pack problem.<br />Dazed and Confused

Reel Appeal

Chief Petty Officer
Re: No power- 175hp Mercury outboard

Hello,<br /> Try removing the lower carb bowls(one at a time)and check needle valve's for blockage,etc. <br />OR<br />Your motor may be "loading up".If you are using NGK BU8H plugs,you may want to try a hotter plug(BU10H recommended)<br />Is it pumping water?overheating?Check for tell tale out the back...Also,just a footnote.Mercury had problems with oil injection pumps in those years.If it is original,you might suspect it.Those motors should be using 89 octane(or higher)gasoline.<br /><br />If all is running ok at idle,I would suspect some type of fuel blockage/restriction.Have had experience with same year/hp. motor.Good luck,post back.... ;)

Neikensnest

Cadet

My boat had an intermediate problem like that (88 merc 135) I found the coil grounds loose ,two of them. This also burned out the stator but it works fine now. Also I ditched the auto pump and I mix the gas when I pump it in. This way I don't have to worry about that stupid pump.

Walker

Captain

Your motor sat all winter so I'd say its your carbs. They need a real cleaning. By real,I mean taken off, disassembled, soaked, and blown out with air.

claywake

Cadet

How about the fuel pump screen & the fuel filter, At the tank I had the screen plug up there one time. Also had one gasket wrong in the fuel pump.<br />I have a merc 150, 1985.